Megan Kleist leaving Oregon

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2016
I'm not surprised by the mass exodus from Oregon, most of those players were there to play for Mike White and his staff not necessarily a love for Oregon University. I'm sure if Tim Walton had left Florida for Texas the same thing would be happening there.

What does surprise me is what's happening at Texas A&M. How does an established coaching staff lose so many players? A couple of them even decided to stay at the school but quit the team. This makes no sense to me. They were a couple of outs away from making it to Oklahoma last year.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I'm not surprised by the mass exodus from Oregon, most of those players were there to play for Mike White and his staff not necessarily a love for Oregon University. I'm sure if Tim Walton had left Florida for Texas the same thing would be happening there.

What does surprise me is what's happening at Texas A&M. How does an established coaching staff lose so many players? A couple of them even decided to stay at the school but quit the team. This makes no sense to me. They were a couple of outs away from making it to Oklahoma last year.

First and foremost, I am not an Aggie homer like some on here. I'm calling you out DD(you know who you are) lol!! I heard two things. The first being Evans had a major blow up on the bus after their loses to Florida and second the coaches don't develop their players. Maybe lines were crossed that should not have been crossed during her blow up. One poster alleges that a current freshman was on her way out too. Not to worry. There loads of kids willing to play there for free. With 70,000 students I would bet there are some former TB players that were looked over in the recruiting process that decided they are going to ATM with or without playing softball. In fact, I know a pitcher that played in the HS Texas State finals that was threatening to walk on according to close sources. Evans watched her pitch during her fall season of Jr year at some showcases. She hits bombs too. Let's see how it all plays out.

Apr 28, 2014
In speaking to a college coach yesterday they stated that 70% of the girls on the transfer list (eligible) are pitchers..
Interesting

Jul 14, 2018
hmmm....so it continues in college as it does in the TB circuit.

That was my thought exactly. How many of these women played for a different TB team every year? It's part of the softball experience for most of these players.

And who can blame them? Especially for pitchers, many made commitments when they were 14/15 years old. If they land on a team five years later where they're not getting any playing time, who does that help? The coach who stockpiled a class of good players? Certainly not the player who can't get on the field. For the vast majority of softball players, college ball is the end of the road. If the NCAA's new transfer rules make it easier for players to finish their careers on the field instead of in the dugout then I applaud that.

Obviously not the case for a player like Kleist, but she's made the choice to go play for a former coach where she'll be happy. Good for her.

Mar 13, 2010

I don’t know. Kleist in particular seemed to love Oregon and OU. Her parents moved there. So that one surprised me.

Mar 13, 2010

I don’t know. Kleist in particular seemed to love Oregon and OU. Her parents moved there. So that one surprised me.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

I have seen a lot of deep love of Oregon expressed by many current and recent Ducks players. IMO, the culture of Coach White's program was a good fit for the environment of that part of the world. The combination of the two was very attractive (for my DD, included), especially with being part of a top team.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2