"Me before Team" A downward spiral.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
Travel ball is all about getting a college scholarship. It is rarely about winning. For the ones who do win, it is because they were able to get the best players all together for a season, or two.

Building a great team through teamwork, commitment, and shared sacrifice does not happen in travel ball, after 12U.

It is the fault of the adults who make the system. Not the players.

The big travel org's do provide a good service, but have a tremendous conflict of interest. The real goal of the big org's chiefs is to be highly regarded, personally, by the college community, and to keep getting paid. I have seen first hand players who are made to workout year round for a big org., and do double duty on high school teams. To the point of being injured and harming their whole career, and yet not have the big org ever say "stop working with us, go play for your high school, and get healed up".

High level travel folks will go out of their way to marginalize high school softball, where teamwork matters, much because they are jealous of all the "press" given to high school softball.

Travel ball has been good to us, but high school softball has offered more character building, and teamwork principles, hands down.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2013
Ask Candrea. He's made the point that college players these days don't know how to win and points to the current status of youth travel ball as a contributing factor.

I believe it's a mixture of multiple things. I think there is an overwhelming plethora of coaches who don't know how to effectively emphasis the mental game as well as the physical game which is why we have players entering college athletics with inadequate attitudes and skills.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802