Max number of plays in a 1-run inning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
I'm helping DD with a story, and we're trying to figure out the max number of plays that could go into an inning that ends with 1 run given up and bases loaded.

I'm figuring 7 -- four base runners, two outs and a batter at the plate. Does that seem right to everyone? She'd like to get two more in there so every defender could be represented, but unless she increases the deficit, I don't know how she'd get there. Anyone have ideas?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I guess it all depends on what your definition of a "play" is. If it has to result in an out or a new baserunner, I don't see how you have more than seven. If you include something like a pick-off attempt or a stolen base early in the inning, you could probably get a couple more.

Feb 20, 2020
She wants to break it up by sections, with each section focusing in on a player. I told her we could have a couple fo dropped or unable-to-reach fouls, but that breaks the style she wants to create. We talked about the team coming in with bigger than a 2-run lead, but she then thinks that would make the late rally more of a "choke" than she wants to show.

Proud that she's thinking in those terms, but she's running into narrative complications.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
There can be a number of "plays" resulting in no runners scoring or being put out. Rundowns, pickoffs and base steals, appeal plays on a runner failing to tag up properly on a caught fly ball but she beats the throw back to the bag.

For example, here are six plays on the leadoff batter of the inning. She beats out the bunt for an infield hit (Play 1). F2 tries to pick her off on a big lead (Play 2). She steals second on the next pitch and the throw to second is late (Play 3). F2's pickoff throw to second on the next pitch gets by F4 (Play 4) and she advances safely to third beating F8's throw with a backdoor slide (Play 5). She tries to come home on a squeeze bunt but the ball is bunted too hard back to F1 who throws the ball home to F2, getting her in a rundown. She is able to make it back to third safely (Play 6).

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pitcher and catcher are involved on every pitch, so depending how she breaks things up, they could both be included that way. You could also have a relay of some sort. A 5-4-3 double play. Or an 8-2 defensive assist with someone acting as a cutoff.

As a coach I always focused on the 3B's when I worked on defense. Ball / Base / Backup. Every player has a responsibility on every defensive play. You should either field the ball, cover a base, or backup another player. Everyone should be involved on every play whether they touch the ball or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802