Mask on/off for pop-ups (ver. 25,553)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
No need to ever take the mask off during live play IMHO (and seemingly most higher profile catching coaches these days). Advancements in design, practicing with it on and plenty of real world experience (often caught on video) that lends credence to the safety and effectiveness of leaving it on. Removing the lid when addressing the team pre-pitch to get their attention, be heard better and get the all important face time on video is important of course. ;-) I expect the usual suspects will take issue here, so bring it.

Jan 28, 2017
You catch an entire game seeing the ball with a mask on. I have never understood taking the mask off. I would lose the ball taking it off and slow down. Coaches always got onto me for not taking it off 40 years ago.

Saw a really good HS short stop throw her infield mask probably 30 feet a couple of weeks ago. I thought she had killed the 3rd base coach.

Oct 26, 2019
The old school masks @RADcatcher Talked about practically took themselves off. After you threw down to a base they would spin around your head. The new ones were made specifically to be left on. That’s one of the many reasons they are safer.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You are spot on. Mask on. Always.

In my observations, the critical skill is reading the ball coming off the bat. If the catcher struggles with this, the mask being on their head or not after that point isn't going to make a lot of difference. I've seen multiple times where the time spent getting their mask off (even if they do it quickly) has cost them the play. I have yet to see a play where I thought taking their mask off would have helped on a play that didn't get made.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious how you practice popups with Maddie. I imagine throwing them is easier than trying to hit pop ups straight up with the proper spin. Do you stand at home plate? A different spot?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious how you practice popups with Maddie. I imagine throwing them is easier than trying to hit pop ups straight up with the proper spin. Do you stand at home plate? A different spot?

The way I used to do it with the catchers I worked with was to stand behind them, tell them RH or LH batter (since foul balls tend to go to the front side of the batter, this tells the catcher which way to make their first turn), tell them, "go", and toss the ball up. Height and location varies. Mask stays on their head. Diving for the ball may be required. 100% hustle is mandatory.

This drill doesn't include reading the ball off the barrel, and sometimes in real life the ball does go behind the batter (one of those in the video of Maddie), but this drill was helpful for the 10U and 12U catchers I was working with at the time.

Nov 18, 2015
I've heard of coaches being able to hit fungo pop-ups to their catchers - probably the only way you could get enough spin to simulate the "drifting" that a high pop-up does on a catcher. I don't see myself being successful doing that - it would probably be some combination of misses, ground balls, and pop flys to 2B before I manage to get one straight up. :)

When I toss them up, I try to generate the same 6-12 spin that would occur if it came off a bat.

May 23, 2015
Mask on. No need for anything else because of the field of view. Old school 2 piece skull caps and masks wobble a lot when your running , so chucking it on the ground is always a welcomed event

Fungo us the only way to simulate a proper foul ball. Pitching machines can do it but setting them up right takes too much time. Just hit them when you're training

May 7, 2015
SoCal

Reviving an older thread.. Mask on, no bloody nose. I know a bloody nose isn't the end of the world, but I can't see the same happening if the catcher was trained to leave it on.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Reviving an older thread.. Mask on, no bloody nose. I know a bloody nose isn't the end of the world, but I can't see the same happening if the catcher was trained to leave it on.
Have to agree. Yet other defensive players may be more at risk on collision plays.
Not a reason to not wear helmet tho.
The equiptment is very fitted.
imo injury could happen trying to remove helmet/mask combo's quickly.

Good topic to consider.

May 6, 2015
gonna ask this question again, might revive old thread as well, but does any rule set (for youth, not concernaed with adult leagues or college) allow the two piece mask and skull caps?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28