Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 9 Years old

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
That's bat drag. Are you ready to fix it?
You can call it what you like but the point I was making was that whenever she tries to keep the bat head up before she launches this is what happens so my question to you is what is it about her upstream movement pattern before she launches that flattening then launching that allows her to not have what you call bat drag (or at least not as extreme and example of it)? In other words if I get her lower half corrected such that she is striding out correctly and not reaching, will that put her body in a better position to launch (e.g. with her shoulders not "upside down") with a more vertical barrel and not have the issues she has in this swing? This is what we had been working on of late with not much success obviously.

I had been leaving the leveling alone when working with her but it got to the point last weekend where I felt I needed to address it but from past experience I was afraid of this exact thing happening. Take a look at my youtube videos from 2 months ago (I didn't post them on here)..same swinging in molasses look and at that point we were attempting to address the same exact thing, e.g. early leveling before launch.

In your post #147 you mentioned working on lower half first( stride and coil) so I would assume you are on board with us just working on her stride out first?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Swing from tonight. Bat speed seems to take a hit when she doesn't level...looks really slow through the zone here. Might be that she is concentrating so much on not dropping the barrel that she forgets to use her hands correctly or that she doesn't know how to use them correctly when the bat isn't level..no idea but it looks like the bat is moving through molasses. Pushing her hands back instead of using her back, lower half still a mess, 1 year old DS still doesn't like the swing and Dad needs a whiskey even though he doesn't drink..other than that everything is going swimmingly.. 😂

Edit: and yes DW took a vertical video again..I mentioned it to her after she took it and I got a dirty look so I will be leaving that alone for a while...#chooseyourbattles
Patter, get her back foot pointed straight, maybe even slightly inward in her stance. This will allow her hips to compress when she lifts her front knee to stride. She needs to feel tension in her back butt check during the knee lift and move out. She needs to ride this feeling forward. In her negative move (2 sec mark), her front knee slides back too far. Have her work on sinking her back knee straight down slightly during her negative and knee lift without sliding her front knee backwards. Just pull knee towards belly button slightly to get hip compression. I’d do Antonelis Hover Drill dry, then on tees, then on front Toss and incorporate those feeling into her stride. Hope this helps!

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
Patter, get her back foot pointed straight, maybe even slightly inward in her stance. This will allow her hips to compress when she lifts her front knee to stride. She needs to feel tension in her back butt check during the knee lift and move out. She needs to ride this feeling forward. In her negative move (2 sec mark), her front knee slides back too far. Have her work on sinking her back knee straight down slightly during her negative and knee lift without sliding her front knee backwards. Just pull knee towards belly button slightly to get hip compression. I’d do Antonelis Hover Drill dry, then on tees, then on front Toss and incorporate those feeling into her stride. Hope this helps!
Thanks. We've done all the hover drills...they obviously haven't translated. How much she gets over back foot in her negative move changes from swing to swing it seems. I'll have to look at her back foot setup in her stance. If I had to guess that would probably change from swing to swing too. I've told her she needs to be cognizant of how she steps into the batters box..she won't do it unless I remind her.

Have you ever had to instruct somebody where unless you actually mention something before every swing it won't be consistent? Simple things as being consistent with her foot positioning (neutral,slightly open,slightly close), posture and handset in her stance need to be mentioned over and over again despite the fact that she has been hitting 3 or 4 times a week since she was 5 years old. I don't care what you choose...just pick something and be consistent with it!! Very frustrating...it feels like I have been working with a 5 year old for the past 4 years. Nothing has changed since we started with respect to her ability to consistently be able repeat any sort of pattern. It is liable to change from week to week, day to day or even from swing to swing. The ability to do this a part of athleticism/natural ability that makes good hitters good and it appears that despite her athletic prowess in other aspects this isn't something she has....

All that said, after voicing similar concerns the other day my wife in not so many words basically implied that maybe I just suck at helping her..she is probably correct.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

The breakdown happens when she strides and keeps the head still. The mass needs to move forward (almost lead).That makes the stride reactive.

The head moves to much during the negative move and not enough or on time during the forward move. Since she has such big actions, you might want to copy Yelichs stance and sequence. You should definitely give her a model to follow or a goal in mind. Basically a visual. Always reference it side by side with her swing so she can compare and contrast.

With all that being said. This isn’t the course I would take with a student. Especially a young one. I would keep it simple with the least amount of moving parts possible to get the sequence down first. I would kill the big leg kick with a tighter negative move as well as starting the hands ‘back’ so they can ‘connect’ to the swing in sequence. Just how I would approach it.

Aug 20, 2017
Hang in there Patter! Try not to get frustrated with her (I do same with my DD). At her age it is sometimes difficult to have body awareness. As she gets older she will gain more awareness of the positions she puts her body in. Right now she probably feels stronger in these positions that may not be ideal for building elite swings. The brain wants the body to be in its strongest positions and right now this may be where she is. My DD is 11 and is at the point of soaking up everything we work on and understands the language of hitting g when I’m working with her. It’s a special time! When she was 9 she didn’t get it at all. I realized that I needed to let her struggle some. She is very competitive and wants to the best she can be and now realizes (trusts) me teaching her. It wasn’t that way at 9! May want to step back a bit when you feel frustrations and just let her play games and practice with her team instead of one on one stuff. You got good times coming bud! Don’t rush it! Just a matter of time!

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016

The breakdown happens when she strides and keeps the head still. The mass needs to move forward (almost lead).That makes the stride reactive.

The head moves to much during the negative move and not enough or on time during the forward move. Since she has such big actions, you might want to copy Yelichs stance and sequence. You should definitely give her a model to follow or a goal in mind. Basically a visual. Always reference it side by side with her swing so she can compare and contrast.

With all that being said. This isn’t the course I would take with a student. Especially a young one. I would keep it simple with the least amount of moving parts possible to get the sequence down first. I would kill the big leg kick with a tighter negative move as well as starting the hands ‘back’ so they can ‘connect’ to the swing in sequence. Just how I would approach it.

Agree her move out needs to be fixed both from a balance (head over belly button) and coiling perspective (@efastball ). We will work on it and at times it will improve but then the next day/week it will go back to where it was. I also agree that the lack of big movements would make things easier but I don't think that is an option for her. If that is to happen it will have to be something which she naturally evolves into.

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
Have you tried what I posted in Post #189? This will fix much of her swing in a few days. You try it, then show her.
Thanks. Yes I know how to FBC and yes I have showed her. We worked on it today at the cages and she seemed to be getting it some. We will see how this week goes. I just need to stay the course with her lower half work and not worry about whatever stuff she is doing with her hands before she launches..it isn't easy to ignore when she is getting into the positions she is getting into at times.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clementsbrad2