Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 9 Years old

Apr 2, 2015
southeast
I honestly have no idea what to do with her at this point. I realize she is young but I have a hard time believing most kids her age have such inconsistent styles/mechanics from week to week.
Very common, not unusual at all.

Here is where I would start.
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

Keep the back heel on the ground, and stride with the back leg until it's almost fully extended.
Then add in, pulling the back elbow like a 'bow'.

That's it. Don't need to buy a bat, learn to slap, pay instructors, or join a club. She can learn the basics in a few days.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
The ROM of her right hip is incredible... In the last video her hips are completely open to the pitcher and her foot is still pointing to the other batters box lol.... It may take her a while to figure herself out because there isn’t anything limiting her movements JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The ROM of her right hip is incredible... In the last video her hips are completely open to the pitcher and her foot is still pointing to the other batters box lol.... It may take her a while to figure herself out because there isn’t anything limiting her movements JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a bigger thing than many people realize. Young and flexible bodies don't feel tension/resistance the same way older people do, which makes teaching some movements patterns more challenging. In trying to limit the big movements, athleticism can get squashed out.

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
On a different topic....turn your phone sideways when you take video ;)
That was my wife..you actually think I get that close to the game? I think she usually does but if you had the sound on you can hear what she was dealing with..if I go and tell her she didn't do it correctly what do you think will happen to me since her husband was out in RF enjoying the peace and quiet :rolleyes:

Last edited:

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
It may take her a while to figure herself out because there isn’t anything limiting her movements JMO.
Straightjacket maybe... although that would probably benefit her father more tbh 😂

With regards to her not releasing her back foot has always done that..some days more than others.

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
This is a bigger thing than many people realize. Young and flexible bodies don't feel tension/resistance the same way older people do, which makes teaching some movements patterns more challenging. In trying to limit the big movements, athleticism can get squashed out.
Agree but being able to perform a certain movement pattern and being able to repeat a movement pattern which you have shown you can do, are not exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Agree but being able to perform a certain movement pattern and being able to repeat a movement pattern which you have shown you can do, are not exactly the same thing.
Yep. Just because you have shown you can do it doesn't mean you can do it under stress. Do you ever have Marcela take try swings in front of a mirror?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crisco