Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 9 Years old

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
My apologies, I just made the assumption that you did. So what about cue to use her hands/wrist to point the knob towards the ball.. would this rid the pronation of the wrist? Does she do a lot of high tee drills? I am wondering if you did a lot of low tee followed by a lot of low front toss with the intention of hitting the ball in the air?
She doesn't level on the tee. The more difficult the timing aspect of the swing becomes, the more she levels. The low front toss is something I do concentrate on. I haven't tried a point the knob queue but I am sure it wouldn't work because nothing else has either :p. She needs to feel herself doing and stop..it isn't any more complicated than that tbh. I've been having this same conversation on here for the last 3+ years...

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
She doesn't level on the tee. The low front toss is something I do concentrate on. I haven't tried a point the knob queue but I am sure it wouldn't work because nothing else has either :p. She needs to feel herself doing and stop..it isn't any more complicated than that tbh.
So what does she do on low front toss? Does she level, or drop the barrel into the zone to get behind and through it? And if she just needs to feel herself doing it, she's not leveling on the tee so I assume she's already feeling that. Simple cue might work, then again you know your DD better than anybody and I am no professional that's for damn well sure, :)

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
So what does she do on low front toss? Does she level, or drop the barrel into the zone to get behind and through it? And if she just needs to feel herself doing it, she's not leveling on the tee so I assume she's already feeling that. Simple cue might work, then again you know your DD better than anybody and I am no professional that's for damn well sure, :)
On low front toss it depends. If I am constantly feeding her low pitches she will adapt with a better barrel path. She doesn't have to worry as much about reading pitch location in that case and hence it is somewhat similar to the tee. But if I am mixing up locations she will typically swing level and get on top.

May 12, 2016
On a positive note, with her speed, hitting the ball into the ground results in a lot of base hits at this age group. :)

My DD forgets about sequence in game swings and front toss, swings become very armsy.. now when she was younger she was all back, all forward and crushed the ball, but of course that doesn't work anymore. I understand your concern about things that work now, which might now work moving forward.

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
On a positive note, with her speed, hitting the ball into the ground results in a lot of base hits at this age group. :)

My DD forgets about sequence in game swings and front toss, swings become very armsy.. now when she was younger she was all back, all forward and crushed the ball, but of course that doesn't work anymore. I understand your concern about things that work now, which might now work moving forward.
Worse comes to worse she can always learn to slap 😭

Oct 2, 2017
In my opinion, others may disagree, but that would be my focus area. Have her practice striding to toe touch only. And show her where she should be at that point. Posture, Barrel Angle, Hand set etc. It may even require having the head of the barrel point slightly away from the body at to touch towards the opposite batters box. It sounds ridiculous, but sometimes a exaggerated over correction will bring it to the middle if you know what I mean. The only she could do that move is self correct her shoulder angle and handset.

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
In my opinion, others may disagree, but that would be my focus area. Have her practice striding to toe touch only. And show her where she should be at that point. Posture, Barrel Angle, Hand set etc. It may even require having the head of the barrel point slightly away from the body at to touch towards the opposite batters box. It sounds ridiculous, but sometimes a exaggerated over correction will bring it to the middle if you know what I mean. The only she could do that move is self correct her shoulder angle and handset.
Thanks. We've done that and she has no issues with dry strides, etc. and like I said she is fine off the tee. I've given up on working on the live ball leveling issue for the moment. The rest of her body needs to be in a better position at launch when a ball is thrown at her, e.g. getting her shoulders to be in an "attack" position vs. being upside down. W=w may be correct that her negative move is not allowing her to move out correctly. I also think part of it is a "panic" sort of response. She does her negative move and then does not trust that she is going to be quick enough if she moves out correctly with an attack position so she starts to reach to get her front foot down which puts her shoulders upside down. She does that on the tee once in a while..she sort of aborts her move out. If she could only move out better from this position (sorry for the still W=w.. ;)) she would improve.
Screenshot from 2019-04-23 11-52-45.png

Edit: I think I will have her do some one-legged starts from (near) this position and her to try and feel the stride taking place with the back foot vs. reaching with the front leg..wish me luck. We did those this winter but haven't in a while.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Worse comes to worse she can always learn to slap 😭
Softball, speed is the killer IMO. Everybody likes the big home run, but I'll take a fast runner with base smarts any day. She will learn to hit, no doubt about it. But not everybody is born fast like your DD. Going to be a good one pattar

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cthswtpe04