Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 9 Years old

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
I am going to try this again..last time I posted a thread about my kid everybody was very helpful but my OCD got the best of me. I'll update periodically. Next three posts will be of her at 7, 8 and 9. I will post game swings once in a while. Feedback is fine...she has obviously improved some but has a long ways to go..we'll keeping working!! ;)

7 years old

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
Horizontal mentality is pretty strong.

Build the wall. Learn the benefits of a diagonal barrel.
Yup same issues pretty much the last 3 or 4 years..swing just looks different/slightly better due to her just getting older.
Diagonal barrel path, e.g. not leveling too early, has been mentioned/demostrated/etc forever..nothing sticks.
I could try the two tee drill you mentioned you used (e.g. the one which simulates the pvc wall drill) but I am fairly certain
she would be fine with it off the tee and it wouldn't carry over to live arm :rolleyes:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Life is tough in the box for those with a horizontal mindset. Learn to arrive/pass-through a swing launch orientation. For many of my hitters it is as simple as rocking the U during their move out. Performing a move out with level shoulders, or worse, with the lead shoulder elevating, will have the torso ill prepared for the task at hand.

Oct 4, 2018
Yup same issues pretty much the last 3 or 4 years..swing just looks different/slightly better due to her just getting older.
Diagonal barrel path, e.g. not leveling too early, has been mentioned/demostrated/etc forever..nothing sticks.
I could try the two tee drill you mentioned you used (e.g. the one which simulates the pvc wall drill) but I am fairly certain
she would be fine with it off the tee and it wouldn't carry over to live arm :rolleyes:
... and my daughter isn't flat enough. Perhaps we can combine the two into a super-bionic softball hitter.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Dumb it down for her.

For example, had a kid in the cages last night that was also a torso-unaware hitter.

I reminded the lady of what a swing is. We sit on the swing, go up, then down, and then up. We 'swing'.

I used an analogy of rocking-the-U during the 'move out' as 'going up'. As the lead-shoulder is drawn down & in, the rear rib cage goes 'up' (or you can think in terms of the rear shoulder, lead hand, etc.). Now we swing as to work the lead rib cage 'up'.

For this girl, I told her that we will 'swing' the torso ... we will go 'up' (rocking the U) and 'up' (working the front rib cage up).

Up and Up.

That was the direction ... Up & Up.

She got it.

The kid was totally unaware that the torso should 'swing'. Not anymore.

Last edited:

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
Dumb it down for her.

For example, had a kid in the cages last night that was also a torso-unaware hitter.

I reminded the lady of what a swing is. We sit on the swing, go up, then down, and then up. We 'swing'.

I used an analogy of rocking-the-U during the 'move out' as 'going up'. As the lead-shoulder is drawn down & in, the rear rib cage goes 'up' (or you can think in terms of the rear shoulder, lead hand, etc.). Now we swing as to work the lead rib cage 'up'.

For this girl, I told her that we will 'swing' the torso ... we will go 'up' (rocking the U) and 'up' (working the front rib cage up).

Up and Up.

That was the direction ... Up & Up.

She got it.

The kid was totally unaware that the torso should 'swing'. Not anymore.
While I have not used the swing analogy (thanks), shoulder working down and in during move has been mentioned, shown (Mookie) and demonstrated as well
as mentioning, showing and demonstrating that the barrel turn/launch should cause the tilt (imo..:D..either way she shouldn't be tilted before she initiates her swing). She either doesn't grasp it, grasps it but cannot get her body to do it or doesn't care to grasp it because the only person not saying how great she is is her mean father..not sure which one it is.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlwolpert