Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Jun 5, 2019
Right but the question really comes down to is it better for me to impose the initial actions on her or to let her athleticism/work/maturation process dictate them. You could say that hasn’t worked so far and you would be right so....😉
This is something I struggle with.....I can't help myself! Obviously I don't want a 10 year old kid out there thinking too much about things I didn't even understand in high school but I just can't handle someone telling my kid nonsense or watching them struggle when I think I can help. This is actually why I started coaching. Maybe it is better out by you but youth coaching is pretty bad in my neck of the woods. If your kids doesn't hit, maybe even if they do, they will be off on a tee doing some silly drill and being fed misinformation by someone who's heart is in the right place but they have no clue. I want my kids to be able to filter that crap out, so sometimes I go overboard! When I think they are getting too mechanical up there and thinking too much I back off for as long as I can. I have told all three of my kids to do something and after a round or two told them to forget everything I said because it looked awful. I wouldn't say I have ever enforced anything in terms of UFAs with them but I do nudge them in the right direction and help them experiment. If it works we stick with it. With all that said...the kids who have parents in the stands hollering mechanical advice almost always have kids that can't hit! On game day I am a cheerleader I don't' mention mechanics or tell them anything just let them hit that is their time. One more thing my kids are 8, 10, and 12 and my 12 year old just started last fall. I can tell you I have made more progress with the 12 year old in 3 months than I did with the young ones in a year! It actually makes me wonder why I am so hard on the the other two! Maturity matters!

pattar

Chasing rainbows
Jun 8, 2016
Team practice starts back up this week. First games with her new team will be third week of March. Also signed Robert up for his 1st season of coach pitch. We let him know and he asked when he could play kid pitch 😂. Hopefully I won’t have to come out of the BP to relieve an eephus pitch throwing coach 😒

Jun 5, 2019
I told my kids when they played coach pitch.. you don't want me coming in there to pitch to you because I am going to throw harder than that kid you are facing. Swing the bat!

Coach pitch for us was after they walk they get 5 pitches.

pattar

Chasing rainbows
Jun 8, 2016
I told my kids when they played coach pitch.. you don't want me coming in there to pitch to you because I am going to throw harder than that kid you are facing. Swing the bat!
Lol. Marcela never played coach pitch so this my first experience with it...

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Lol. Marcela never played coach pitch so this my first experience with it...
As a ball Dad, coach pitch was the “funnest” thing I ever did! Both of my kids go / went to a small private Christian school. In grades 3 through 5 they had Spring coach pitch baseball.

There was always 4 or 5 teams, every one of those teams wanted my son.....just so they could get me as their pitcher!

I threw hard and flat, once every kid finally realized I wasn’t going to hit them, even the little girls, it was line drive after line drive! But.....there was several moms who complained I threw too hard in the beginning, even confronted me about it! Telling them to relax didn’t really work, but going from not even knowing how to hold a bat, to just halfway through the season little Sally was hitting shots to the grass! Yeah mom, now you jump up and down and clap your hands! :rolleyes:

Those Saturdays were so fun, I used to get out of bed on those Saturday mornings knowing we were going to kill some team that day! And it was always surprisingly big, loud, rowdy crowds!

Some of those Dad / coach pitchers were so bad their own teams parents would boo them, I’ve even stayed in the circle the entire game and pitched to both teams when the other pitcher got booed off the field!

Those other pitchers would lob the ball overhand but like slow pitch softball, the ball would come down almost vertical in front of the hitter, it was terrible! The key is to throw the same consistent pitch, pitch after pitch! At that age I knew exactly where to throw each and every pitch to each individual kid!

Great memories, I’m jealous of you pattar, I’d do it again in a heartbeat!

pattar

Chasing rainbows
Jun 8, 2016
Great memories, I’m jealous of you pattar, I’d do it again in a heartbeat!
If you were able to be in my head most of the time that jealously would turn to relief that you don’t have to navigate that mess 😉

pattar

Chasing rainbows
Jun 8, 2016
Marcela hit live in practice the other day. Said she hit pretty good...no idea what that means but considering I wasn't there to see I will assume her swing was somewhere between Mookie Blaylock and Mookie Betts (granted I have no idea what Mookie Blaylock's baseball swing looked like).

pattar

Chasing rainbows
Jun 8, 2016
IS she as hard on herself as you were (on yourself)?
Not in games or practices with her team...at least not outwardly. I didn't hide anything when I played. There were times last year where you could see she was pressing in games though but unless you knew her really well it would be hard to tell. That was probably my fault because of how I acted in the past ( I behaved better last fall)

When she practices with me she is a bit too hard on herself (outwardly) but that is partly (ok mostly) my fault too since she probably feeds off of my facial expressions which I am still learning to control..

So yeah basically everything negative with her is my fault. I suck pretty bad at being a sports parent.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
nah. It sounds like my dd is very similar. As long as I am not involved, the whole game can be falling apart and she'll never show it. She may get in the car and vent after the game. But like your dd, on the field you'd have to know what to look for.
However, in a hitting (or pitching) side session one wrong word from me and we might as well end the session (and I have more than I care to think about). She just shuts down in frustration.