Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Oct 2, 2017
We hit at the field yesterday. She seemed in good spirits but at one point said something to the effect of "I only hit two balls well all weekend". I couldn't disagree but told her all we can do is keep working and you will get there but deep down I felt so badly for her. She has been putting the work in and nothing is really coming from it. IMO at this point she needs to be on a team where she hits in the bottom of the order and there is less pressure on her to produce.
Sounds just like Allie, put in a lot of work, but struggle.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah the problem is she used to produce for this team. She worked her way up from batting 7th or 8th in the order her first two seasons with the team to hitting 3rd and now probably is one of the least productive hitters on the team. She is old enough now for this to weigh on her I think..

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We hit at the field yesterday. She seemed in good spirits but at one point said something to the effect of "I only hit two balls well all weekend". I couldn't disagree but told her all we can do is keep working and you will get there but deep down I felt so badly for her. She has been putting the work in and nothing is really coming from it. IMO at this point she needs to be on a team where she hits in the bottom of the order and there is less pressure on her to produce.
It happens at all ages. Maddie is (hopefully) coming out of her worst phase she's ever been through. We know where the issues are, and she continues to put in the practice work, but when she's in the box in a game, she's having a hard time getting out of her bad habit.

My point: Keep up the work. It WILL come together.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Go to 9:45 for one of the hard hit balls. She can get away with moving out like that against crappy pitching.

Edit: To me, like I have said before, it is an approach/mental thing. Yeah mechanically she could be better but I cannot remember the last time she has checked her swing in a game...to me that is very telling in terms of her approach. I don't know what I can do to fix it as words don't seem to do anything.
Pro Tip: Setting up the camera directly behind home plate is terrible. The umpire blocks out a good view of the batter and the catcher. I have come to prefer a camera position way to the right of the plate, which gives a much clearer look at the action.(I'm pretty sure this isn't your camera setup, but maybe you can mention it to whoever it is.)

My typical setup...

Jun 8, 2016
Pro Tip: Setting up the camera directly behind home plate is terrible. The umpire blocks out a good view of the batter and the catcher. I have come to prefer a camera position way to the right of the plate, which gives a much clearer look at the action.(I'm pretty sure this isn't your camera setup, but maybe you can mention it to whoever it is.)

My typical setup...
That is a feed from another team... :p

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

My typical setup...
I am LOVING that high leg kick!!! ;););)

Sep 19, 2018
IMO at this point she needs to be on a team where she hits in the bottom of the order and there is less pressure on her to produce.
She certainly wouldn't be the first. Is it possible that the pressure is more / all self inflicted and would happen regardless of where she hits in the line-up? Could you talk to the coach? If he did move her down, would that be more devastating to her? And then if you had a hand in it, you'd feel awful.

Jun 8, 2016
She certainly wouldn't be the first. Is it possible that the pressure is more / all self inflicted and would happen regardless of where she hits in the line-up? Could you talk to the coach? If he did move her down, would that be more devastating to her? And then if you had a hand in it, you'd feel awful.
I told the coach to move her down in the order a year ago..like most things I have suggested to him he didn't listen. Also yes at this point moving her down on this team would more than likely not help matters at all..but they only have one more tournament and then she is going to play for somebody else so it will hopefully take care of itself. Look I am not saying her swing isn't playing a big part in her struggles..just that her mental state isn't helping matters.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
So I've gotten her to keep her handset consistent the last few weeks but now she is all over the place with where her elbow is in her setup...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardenlyndz