Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Jun 8, 2016
Hit the ball hard twice yesterday in 4 games :cautious: Swing wasn't horrible but she still isn't moving out correctly. No videos lately as my wife's cell has been broken for a few weeks and we are waiting on a new one..

On the brighter side made a few nice plays in the field, one was a diving play in the hole which she flipped to third while on her belly (there were girls on 1st and 2nd) but the 3B wasn't ready and the other was a charging forehand where she picked the short hop (field is turf)..After that game she told me" Just like the drill we did yesterday.." ( we worked on picking short hops backhand, within the framework of the body and forehand) ;)

Tournament is weak so the team is in the winner's bracket final.

Jun 8, 2016
Go to 9:45 for one of the hard hit balls. She can get away with moving out like that against crappy pitching.

Edit: To me, like I have said before, it is an approach/mental thing. Yeah mechanically she could be better but I cannot remember the last time she has checked her swing in a game...to me that is very telling in terms of her approach. I don't know what I can do to fix it as words don't seem to do anything.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Go to 9:45 for one of the hard hit balls. She can get away with moving out like that against crappy pitching.

Edit: To me, like I have said before, it is an approach/mental thing. Yeah mechanically she could be better but I cannot remember the last time she has checked her swing in a game...I don't know what I can do to fix it as words don't seem to do anything.
Nice line drive rocket

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Right and she gets no stretch..Imagine if she could figure out how to move out properly (FYB, beat the pitcher to the spot or whatever you want to call it). Right now it is all hands/arms..
Her old man knows what he's talking about, She'll figure it out and I look forward to it

Jun 8, 2016
Her team won the championship this weekend. It wasn't the greatest tournament field but they are playing better overall. Unfortunately Marcela isn't really part of that "overall"...

She had her hitting lesson a few weeks ago. I wasn't too impressed (seemed sort of impersonal/cookie cutter) but she had fun, and it was the first one, so I was going to give it a chance and book a few more. Unfortunately it seems impossible to get in with this lady so we haven't been able to get another one. I probably screwed this up too.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
One lesson is tough. I finally caved this fall and got my dd hitting lessons. She does nor trust me and simply refuses to actually try anything I suggest. The first lesson was with the owner, and then I bought a package of 5 more from one of the cheaper instructors (1/2 the cost per lesson). After 2 lessons she was all back then all forward, 'scrunching' her body to load. I thought, "oh no, what did I do?"

At her last lesson, her load and stride out looked so much better. No more scrunching, smooth movements creating stretch. Coach never spoke about the stride out or FYB, but somehow it started to happen on its own. If you picked this instructor because you trust her, give her a few more lessons to see.

Jun 8, 2016
One lesson is tough. I finally caved this fall and got my dd hitting lessons. She does nor trust me and simply refuses to actually try anything I suggest. The first lesson was with the owner, and then I bought a package of 5 more from one of the cheaper instructors (1/2 the cost per lesson). After 2 lessons she was all back then all forward, 'scrunching' her body to load. I thought, "oh no, what did I do?"

At her last lesson, her load and stride out looked so much better. No more scrunching, smooth movements creating stretch. Coach never spoke about the stride out or FYB, but somehow it started to happen on its own. If you picked this instructor because you trust her, give her a few more lessons to see.
The instructor widened her up a bit but otherwise said everything was great..I should have told her that great swing is probably hitting under .200 but I shut my mouth.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
We hit at the field yesterday. She seemed in good spirits but at one point said something to the effect of "I only hit two balls well all weekend". I couldn't disagree but told her all we can do is keep working and you will get there but deep down I felt so badly for her. She has been putting the work in and nothing is really coming from it. IMO at this point she needs to be on a team where she hits in the bottom of the order and there is less pressure on her to produce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardenlyndz