Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Oct 2, 2017
Swung it a bit better this weekend...but played not so great in the field. Go figure. It was cold and drizzly and she was moving like a 45 YO Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering professor. The law of Conservation of Mediocrity...
Allie played over the weekend and her and her team were moving that way to LOL!

Sep 17, 2009
We hit today and she was struggling. I finally tell her to just be athletic (I am not even sure wth that means tbh..lol) and hit it hard somewhere (this one I think I understand) and she started hitting.

Hopefully it is just me she cannot take any sort of instruction from because otherwise I would be better off flushing the money I am going to spend on an instructor down the toilet... :rolleyes: First lesson is Wed..we'll see I guess. If you don't hear from me it is because my wife caught me flushing money down the toilet and put me out of my misery.
Pattar, she seems like a good candidate (many kids are) to instruct via results. What I mean by that is move the tee around and up and down and have her hit it hard (she seems to respond to that) at different contact positions and drive the ball to different locations. Do the same with front-toss, move it around and keep her contact and result quality high. Mix in some change-ups and have her figure out how to hit them hard too. If she runs into problems, help her work to improve the result, not the mechanic (fixing the result will go a long way toward improving the mechanics -- and it will improve your mental health too lol). Don't show her video. Don't talk too much. Just hit. As she learns how to fix her results, she can slowly learn body awareness too....to get the result I want, I do this, etc. etc. There are other 'tricks' you can use too. Self-toss is great for understanding sequence, timing and bat path and angle. I like pepper too for hands and barrel control.

Daniel Myiagi her -- wax on, wax off :)

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar, she seems like a good candidate (many kids are) to instruct via results. What I mean by that is move the tee around and up and down and have her hit it hard (she seems to respond to that) at different contact positions and drive the ball to different locations. Do the same with front-toss, move it around and keep her contact and result quality high. Mix in some change-ups and have her figure out how to hit them hard too. If she runs into problems, help her work to improve the result, not the mechanic (fixing the result will go a long way toward improving the mechanics -- and it will improve your mental health too lol). Don't show her video. Don't talk too much. Just hit. As she learns how to fix her results, she can slowly learn body awareness too....to get the result I want, I do this, etc. etc. There are other 'tricks' you can use too. Self-toss is great for understanding sequence, timing and bat path and angle. I like pepper too for hands and barrel control.

I don't disagree. I had her change her setup a bit yesterday to lower her handset (AGAIN) and widen her stance some based upon what I have observed when she is swinging it well and then just told her to hit it hard..she swung it better then she had all year.

Jun 8, 2016
This is what it looks like when nobody on the field wants to field a bunt ("you got it, no you got it, ok I got it...).. 😫

Dec 11, 2010

On behalf of all of us that can’t spell sagitertaternal I’d like to thank you.

In all seriousness, I like this approach a lot. It worked for both of my kids.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
This is what it looks like when nobody on the field wants to field a bunt ("you got it, no you got it, ok I got it...).. 😫

Oh man, that’s just awful.

Unless it’s the first time anyone has ever bunted against them. Then it’s ok. o_O

Dec 11, 2010
Makes me want to scream.

I‘m a total bozo but I would have that fixed “immediately if not sooner”, lol