Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That’s survival mode imo. If you want her to let the inside pitch get deep, that’s ok. Ask for it to be hit UTM then. Oppo approach is fine.

Just give her goals. External goals. Hit inside ‘here’. Hit outside ‘here’. If you want her to let it get deep use CF and RF. If you want her to be ultra aggressive use LF and CF as goals. Kids respond better to external cues imo.

Tell her if she gets them all right or most right, in the right spots she gets an after practice ice cream cone. Still do that w mine and she’s 19. Although it’s turned into Starbucks not ice cream.
When DD was younger I set up cones in the outfield as a goal. As she got older the cones were no longer necessary. I agree that the external cue is often more effective. Interesting though, is that she is becoming more in tune with internal cues now. Perhaps her exposure to anatomy and kinesiology classes.

DD is 20 and also prefers Starbucks to ice cream (y) I'm curious what she will choose when she hits 21...

Jun 8, 2016
Even though I behaved myself this weekend she told me yesterday, when I told she just needs to relax and hit, that when she is hitting me being there makes her nervous because of the way I would react in the past. I don't know if I should continue going and behave myself so that eventually she will learn that she doesn't to worry about my idiocy anymore or if I should just take a break from going and just let my wife man the fields for a while till she gets her head straight. I just want her to be able to relax in the box and hit and have fun so I am fine either way..just not sure what to do :(

Sep 19, 2018
If you stop going there is a chance you are just delaying. It is possible those feeling won't go away until you prove it to her. But what the heck do I know? I have 3 girls, they let go of somethings and other things that they hold on to. I certainly can't figure out when, where or why.

Good luck

Jan 13, 2020
Even though I behaved myself this weekend she told me yesterday, when I told she just needs to relax and hit, that when she is hitting me being there makes her nervous because of the way I would react in the past. I don't know if I should continue going and behave myself so that eventually she will learn that she doesn't to worry about my idiocy anymore or if I should just take a break from going and just let my wife man the fields for a while till she gets her head straight. I just want her to be able to relax in the box and hit and have fun so I am fine either way..just not sure what to do :(
You two may be able to help each other by working together on relaxation and enjoying the game. (there are so many funny things that happen when baby giraffes play :D )

Maintaining the realization that at the plate being successful 50% of the time you’ve had a great tourney; 40% of the time you’re a star and 30% of the time sometimes happens. That’s why the challenge of hitting is so much fun.

Go get ‘em TEAM.

Jun 8, 2016
If you stop going there is a chance you are just delaying. It is possible those feeling won't go away until you prove it to her. But what the heck do I know? I have 3 girls, they let go of somethings and other things that they hold on to. I certainly can't figure out when, where or why.

Good luck
I agree. I just hate seeing her so uptight up there. Hopefully a few tournaments of good behavior from me will make the previous actions a thing of the past.

Jun 8, 2016
Pic from the weekend with "new" glove prominently displayed for @ANNASDAD and @OsDad ;)

Also yes, all of the IF surfaces at the tournament looked like a horse racing track

Edit: Hmm, not liking her glove position in her "ready position" :mad:.....:p

124b721c8daa431bb10b9373df206fee.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Don't obsess...snapshots lie. Sort of looks like one of the feet hasn't finished its move yet, so glove probably not final yet either...
Lol..I was partially kidding but I have taught her to have the glove thumb up as opposed to palm up. When you run/move think about how you do it..nobody moves with their palm up. Palm up is ok for corners.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yes.....more leather pics, thanks pattar! Look at those arms and legs......has her doctor projected how tall she's going to get?? She already looks a foot taller than Anna! Anna definitely has the advantage of getting lower to the ground! :rolleyes: 😄

I found this old pic of Anna playing 3B, pretty sure this was first year 16U and she was 14. This was in the depths of Hell.......Georgia! This particular tournament there was 3 or 4 umpires that got carted off the fields by ambulances!!

See what I mean about being low? She's moves and creeps at SS, don't even look like the same kid!
21192107_497127117331767_2810843499654614883_n.jpg

Jun 8, 2016
Yes.....more leather pics, thanks pattar! Look at those arms and legs......has her doctor projected how tall she's going to get?? She already looks a foot taller than Anna! Anna definitely has the advantage of getting lower to the ground! :rolleyes: 😄

I found this old pic of Anna playing 3B, pretty sure this was first year 16U and she was 14. This was in the depths of Hell.......Georgia! This particular tournament there was 3 or 4 umpires that got carted off the fields by ambulances!!

See what I mean about being low? She's moves and creeps at SS, don't even look like the same kid!
View attachment 19215
Doctor said she is going to be around 5'8" or 5'9" . Right now she is 5'2" and 83 lbs..lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brgiles3