Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Jun 8, 2016
Got a couple weekends off now from softball tournaments before they play again. We've been getting some decent hitting sessions in the last few weeks but her game swing always reverts back, in varying degrees, to the sit back (which gets exacerbated at times by too big of a negative move) and reach with the front leg swing which screws everything up. There seems to be some sort of mental block going on in the games which affects her ability to attack the ball from the outset. If she cannot get over it then a setup change as mentioned may be in order per @Work=wins suggestion but I am not sure that would help if her "mental approach" is still off.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Got a couple weekends off now from softball tournaments before they play again. We've been getting some decent hitting sessions in the last few weeks but her game swing always reverts back, in varying degrees, to the sit back (which gets exacerbated at times by too big of a negative move) and reach with the front leg swing which screws everything up. There seems to be some sort of mental block going on in the games which affects her ability to attack the ball from the outset. If she cannot get over it then a setup change as mentioned may be in order per @Work=wins suggestion but I am not sure that would help if her "mental approach" is still off.
I think if you just go out there and ask for everything to be pulled in the air she will figure it out. I would go w easy BP until she gets proficient. Then amp up slowly.

She’s not gonna pull everything especially when the BP gets faster. But she will go get it and I think that’s what we are all after at the end of the day.

It’s just an easy way to get her off her backside and in an attacking approach/mindset. And of course always be encouraging and never frown.

Then move to her set up if the fault is still there.

Jun 8, 2016
I think if you just go out there and ask for everything to be pulled in the air she will figure it out. I would go w easy BP until she gets proficient. Then amp up slowly.

She’s not gonna pull everything especially when the BP gets faster. But she will go get it and I think that’s what we are all after at the end of the day.

It’s just an easy way to get her off her backside and in an attacking approach/mindset. And of course always be encouraging and never frown.

Then move to her set up if the fault is still there.
Thanks. Her BP is pull dominated, especially of late when her BP swing has been pretty good. I will have to take some video of her BP swing to see what the differences are but it seems like whatever is going on in her head in games isn't there in BP. Not sure what to tell her in games to get her over her mental block. All I say now is to go up there and be aggressive but that doesn't seem to work, especially when the pitching is of decent speed.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks. Her BP is pull dominated, especially of late when her BP swing has been pretty good. I will have to take some video of her BP swing to see what the differences are but it seems like whatever is going on in her head in games isn't there in BP. Not sure what to tell her in games to get her over her mental block. All I say now is to go up there and be aggressive but that doesn't seem to work, especially when the pitching is of decent speed.
is it pulled correctly? In the air? On a line? On the ground? Humpbacks? Getting the head out or just turning? You want back spin not top or side spin.

Right now the ball is on top of her. At least in most of your game/BP vids. She seems to let it get too deep. In past game vids, some really nice shots she hit were pulled if I’m not mistaken.

I think a pull approach can really unlock a hitters aggressiveness and their hands.

Edit: if she was out front of everything I would ask for a more UTM or oppo approach. And so on and so forth. Work back and forth when they need it. That’s just me.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
is it pulled correctly? In the air? On a line? On the ground? Humpbacks? Getting the head out or just turning? You want back spin not top or side spin.
Top spin or knuckled liners or barreled up GB for the most part. If she hits it in the air to LF she usually gets under it too much. Her path is too flat.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Top spin or knuckled liners or barreled up GB for the most part. If she hits it in the air to LF she usually gets under it. Her path is too flat.
That’s survival mode imo. If you want her to let the inside pitch get deep, that’s ok. Ask for it to be hit UTM then. Oppo approach is fine.

Just give her goals. External goals. Hit inside ‘here’. Hit outside ‘here’. If you want her to let it get deep use CF and RF. If you want her to be ultra aggressive use LF and CF as goals. Kids respond better to external cues imo.

Tell her if she gets them all right or most right, in the right spots she gets an after practice ice cream cone. Still do that w mine and she’s 19. Although it’s turned into Starbucks not ice cream.