Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Jun 8, 2016
Heck I would take her 7 YO stride right now..(I like her handset better there too 😫 )

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
just an FYI, she has a good hinge here. Yeah I know her hands come forward too soon. But she sits into her glute and moves out.
I know..You said in her 10 YO thread that her swing has got worse every year and we appear to have kept that streak alive in going from 10 to 11.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I know..You said in her 10 YO thread that her swing has got worse every year and we appear to have kept that streak alive in going from 10 to 11.
not what I meant. Have you seen Kershaw pitch and or Yelich hit. They load the same. They create a hinge or a ‘sitting’ and move out controlled. There are traces of this in Marcelas latest swing. Might be worth some time.

Jun 8, 2016
not what I meant. Have you seen Kershaw pitch and or Yelich hit. They load the same. They create a hinge or a ‘sitting’ and move out controlled. There are traces of this in Marcelas latest swing. Might be worth some time.
Right..at some point (winter 2018/early 2019 if I remember correctly..I will have to go back and check) she was doing this but overdoing it and I coached it out of her....

Oct 2, 2017
TDS is the master at this. But I taught my dd to let the gather create the stride. I had her load w forward bend and a bat tip into the ground like Trout. I took back and forth out the equation and made it about up and down. I put her feet together made her keep her head still(back and forth) to create a load into the ground on a high tee. So she knew how far she should bend. I wouldn’t recommend a bat tip unless a player can’t slot the rear elbow on time. Can create late planing issues and take away or enhance the load. It all depends. That’s just me.

westwinds version w the feet overlapping is really good also. It creates some forward bend in the set up already.
@pattar This thought process that W=W is I believe a big part of the equation to fix Marcela's stride.

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks. I understood what you were talking about previously. I have no confidence that I can help her do it.
The best advice I can give currently is to "try" and communicate to Marcela that the goal is not to think moving or striding towards the pitcher or ball, but to think about moving or striding to get into the ground underneath her.

She plays basketball right? You might be able demonstrate the up and down, by comparing it to the beginning motions of a jump shot for example.

Jun 8, 2016
The best advice I can give currently is to "try" and communicate to Marcela that the goal is not to think moving or striding towards the pitcher or ball, but to think about moving or striding to get into the ground underneath her.

She plays basketball right? You might be able demonstrate the up and down, by comparing it to the beginning motions of a jump shot for example.
Communicating anything verbally with her most of the time is a chore since she already "knows..." . Sometimes I have a feeling she is going to have to fail big time (as in get cut or something) for her to listen because hitting like garbage apparently isn't enough failure for her... 🤷‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texassoftballdad#7