Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Jun 8, 2016
She played well in the field may a few nice plays in the hole and one up the middle. She had an error on a ball in the hole where her arm strength was an issue...as was the fact that her 1B have no idea how to pick a ball...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You are probably not a big fan but along with the feet together we have been doing a 45 degree SNF drill on front toss which has a similar setup as to what you are talking about..no stride however.
Are you taking about being closed? That helps rotation from the middle. The open version can help the upper half load and separation happen as well. I do the drills with the feet planted. More upper body focused for me.

Jun 8, 2016
Are you taking about being closed? That helps rotation from the middle. The open version can help the upper half load and separation happen as well. I do the drills with the feet planted. More upper body focused for me.
Feet are 45 open but upper body is preset to where it would be at launch...I guess it isn't really chest towards catcher. It is a TM drill but I don't have her focus on anything with her hands/forearms.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines

She looks better in this video. I think some things are less pronounced. But I have to add a 2nd issue with the soft frontside. The 3rd being a better hand load but less important. She has no extension!

But first, her bat gets into the zone early, very well. Her bat is level. Her elbows are in sync, working fine.

It isn't nearly the end of her. "Giraffe" is perfect! I had a player who kept trying out, twice for my 18U team. She was built the same. She couldn't make the 14U or 16U teams. Suddenly at age 18 her body changed. She became athletic. She could run like the wind. She made the team and was the #2 top power hitter on the team. Kids have no idea what there body is doing until about 17-18. A bulb will turn on and she will be a holly terror.

That is Mendoza and proper extension. You can see she did not hit the ball to left-field, but where it was pitched. 2nd is one of my five little studs. These are photos from last year at the first day of tryouts. She had the same finish, no extension. This hurt her contact especially on the pull side. Her bat was leaving the hitting zone early. Almost everything down the 1B side was a ground ball. But it got fixed. Now she is one of my two leading hitters, and plays SS, and has full extension. Drills!

Your daughter's swing is finishing the same way.

There is one point I want to make. You are getting lots of suggestions. Pick the most viable, sometimes the simplest, and go from there. Sometimes fixing one issue fixes a few! Sometimes mechanical issues are not the cause, but the symptom. I feel her frontside knee is one of those keys.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2016

She looks better in this video. I think some things are less pronounced. But I have to add a 2nd issue with the soft frontside. The 3rd being a better hand load but less important. She has no extension!

But first, her bat gets into the zone early, very well. Her bat is level. Her elbows are in sync, working fine.

It isn't nearly the end of her. "Giraffe" is perfect! I had a player who kept trying out, twice for my 18U team. She was built the same. She couldn't make the 14U or 16U teams. Suddenly at age 18 her body changed. She became athletic. She could run like the wind. She made the team and was the #2 top power hitter on the team. Kids have no idea what there body is doing until about 17-18. A bulb will turn on and she will be a holly terror.

That is Mendoza and proper extension. You can see she did not hit the ball to left-field, but where it was pitched. 2nd is one of my five little studs. These are photos from last year at the first day of tryouts. She had the same finish, no extension. This hurt her contact especially on the pull side. Her bat was leaving the hitting zone early. Almost everything down the 1B side was a ground ball. But it got fixed. Now she is one of my two leading hitters, and plays SS, and has full extension. Drills!

Your daughter's swing is finishing the same way.

There is one point I want to make. You are getting lots of suggestions. Pick the most viable, sometimes the simplest, and go from there. Sometimes fixing one issue fixes a few! Sometimes mechanical issues are not the cause, but the symptom. I feel her frontside knee is one of those keys.
Thank you. She is pretty athletic already (runs well, plays SS pretty well for an 11 YO, is a good basketball player, etc) but yes some of her swing movements are certainly less than athletic. I hate looking at stills of Marcela..some of them (including the one I showed and the two you just posted) make my eyes bleed a little bit...lol.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We mess around with a regular no stride swing as well but just with a normal stance. No idea if any of the drills are helping...if nothing else hopefully she gains a bit of body awareness from them... :rolleyes:
try the chest towards the catcher during stride cue. Might cure the upside down shoulders. I know it will stretch her middle for sure. As Q said, one thing at a time. Baby steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turz20