Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Jun 8, 2016
But her bat was level in the video and her elbows were fine. I saw no big issues. Can't fix a wheel that isn't broken.
I am not sure we are talking about the same thing but previously she would drop the barrel parallel to the ground before she launched her swing. It isn't nearly as bad right now..but that could change next tournament with her :)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
THE BEST GET THE HEAD OUT

Rollovers are not bc of a pull mentality, it’s actually the opposite. It’s bc the swing isn’t on plane deep enough so the hands flip or posture changes to get the barrel to the ball. Usually is an oppo approach. The HOF pattern is pull and pull and pull some more. You don’t wait til the ball is deep unless you’re in a situation... timing matters, can’t hit HRs consistently unless you get the head out.

the problem w old school baseball/softball is they preach JUST CONTACT, THEY WANT TO WIN. Oppo approach, let it get deep and hit utm. Which if learned early and often enough turns into, cant pull the ball, inside heat is weakly hit and the hitter never reaches their potential. eventually turning every kid into a slapper. Lauren Chamberlain says it’s what changed her career. Justin Turner also. Beat the pitcher to the spot. Don’t back the ball up..

change the approach, the movements change. Change the intent changes, the timing changes. Can’t be late and drive the ball. But you can be early.
I know quite a bit about hitting, am I a true hitting coach.........heck no! I love your comment about weakly hit inside pitches, I teach my girls if their hands and bat stay on plane and through the zone long enough, and (((they stay inside the ball))) on a hard inside pitch they can beat any pitch to the contact spot first, and hit the ball hard & a long way! Even if it’s a foul ball, she won’t throw it there the next pitch!

Jun 8, 2016
To be honest I am actually just happy that I have behaved myself (so kudos to me :p ) and she seems a bit less uptight because I have been. so that is a win. She was in a pretty good mood after the games like I said so I was happy about that. She said she had fun so.. 🤷‍♂️

Oct 2, 2017
To be honest I am actually just happy that I have behaved myself (so kudos to me :p ) and she seems a bit less uptight because I have been. so that is a win. She was in a pretty good mood after the games like I said so I was happy about that. She said she had fun so.. 🤷‍♂️
There you go! Way to see those small victories! Especially if they say they feel good and had fun.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
THE BEST GET THE HEAD OUT

Rollovers are not bc of a pull mentality, it’s actually the opposite. It’s bc the swing isn’t on plane deep enough so the hands flip or posture changes to get the barrel to the ball. Usually is an oppo approach. The HOF pattern is pull and pull and pull some more. You don’t wait til the ball is deep unless you’re in a situation... timing matters, can’t hit HRs consistently unless you get the head out.

the problem w old school baseball/softball is they preach JUST CONTACT, THEY WANT TO WIN. Oppo approach, let it get deep and hit utm. Which if learned early and often enough turns into, cant pull the ball, inside heat is weakly hit and the hitter never reaches their potential. eventually turning every kid into a slapper. Lauren Chamberlain says it’s what changed her career. Justin Turner also. Beat the pitcher to the spot. Don’t back the ball up..

change the approach, the movements change. Change the intent changes, the timing changes. Can’t be late and drive the ball. But you can be early.
This almost looks like it is directed at me, so let me comment. I did not read where anyone suggested a pull mentality causes early roll-over. That would be only when trying to pull an outside pitch, which is a situation mentioned about 20 million times in the game. Also, an "over-grip" where wrists are far from parallel which totaly exempts plam up/palm down. And excessively closed stance can exacerbate the issue as well. But pulling the ball has zero to do with the issue, just so you know my position.