Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 11 years old

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
0-4 on the day with the lineout, 2 grounders to third and one to first. She walked 3 times. Blecch..but I behaved myself with her and she seemed to be in good spirits after the games.

On the otherhand, I had an in-game "conversation" with her HC from down the LF line for the second tournament in a row when I said out loud (too loudly apparently) "What are you doing??" when he decided to sac bunt down by 6 runs with like 10 minutes left in the game and then he responded to me from the third base coaching box by saying "Playing softball...." alrighty then...I know I probably should shut my mouth but man the guy is a donkey sometimes..
I liked her swing today P. posture was good, on plane early. stays closed into foot down. She loads her hips well. You could add a walk through to her warm up. feet together, as she strides have her show her chest to the catcher to help load the upper a bit better. Know what I mean?

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
When she strides she reaches with the front leg e.g. her front leg is too active. That gets her shoulders upside down at toe touch (front shoulder up and back shoulder down).

View attachment 19425

If you mean before she launches then yes, she has had an issue of dropping the bat head down before she launches. It is actually not nearly as bad as it has been in the past.
You can see more in this photo than the video since there is no fence. She is gangly, with those long legs so she is like a new fawn. I can't enlarge it, but she looks like a microphone stand that is knocked, tilted back, then forward, like her separation and stride are a rocking motion. The first sin I would see is that her back knee is going over her back foot. That aggravates a good stride and timing in my opinion. But also there is less separation of the hands than I would like, reducing power. I think more hand load would help her. But as I said before the stride is the killer.

I had a similar girl on the women's national team, Janette Rusia. I use a drill to quell it where as they shift their weight into load, they simply start as they should, with their back knee inside the back foot. Then shift the knee directly forward to create the weight shift. This eliminates the rocking motion and head backwards. Once set, they simply rotate. She might also try a knee-knock load or toe-touch load to create less backward tilt. That is me at age 66 doing the knee-knock. I can't find my toe-touch but the last two photos of Dani Gilmore (Oregon State) hint at it. She was our 2nd best hitter on the national team (best batting average), and her photos are reversed from LH. She kept her knee inside her back foot very well. Slid her toe back during load, touched it, then went into stride.

One less effort might be starting with an semi-opened stance. Not the shoulders, just the front foot pulled back. It will preclude the big weight shifts. Just keep her closing her stride directly at the pitcher. I can't find a photo right now.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
You could add a walk through to her warm up. feet together, as she strides have her show her chest to the catcher to help load the upper a bit better. Know what I mean?
We have been doing the feet together drill with front toss and have had her coiling as she moves when she does but not to the extent of showing her chest to the catcher. She is getting the bat head out better but the move out is still not good though. We will keep working the feet together, where she does move out well, and hopefully it will transfer at some point...hopefully???

Oct 2, 2017
Still not moving out well at all

Good hit! Jmo i still believe the reason she reaches and the shoulders go up side down is because she is striding with the rear leg. If she does it right on deck, I think that's because she isn't giving Any thought about the rear leg or anylegs for that matter.

But then again I could be talking out my a** 🤣

Jun 8, 2016
You can see more in this photo than the video since there is no fence. She is gangly, with those long legs so she is like a new fawn.
I prefer baby giraffe but that works too.. :LOL:
I can't enlarge it, but she looks like a microphone stand that is knocked, tilted back, then forward, like her separation and stride are a rocking motion. The first sin I would see is that her back knee is going over her back foot. That aggravates a good stride and timing in my opinion. But also there is less separation of the hands than I would like, reducing power. I think more hand load would help her. But as I said before the stride is the killer.
Agree that that the rock back is causing an issue. We've talked about it and she doesn't do it nearly as much in BP but in the games it rears its ugly head.

I had a similar girl on the women's national team, Janette Rusia. I use a drill to quell it where as they shift their weight into load, they simply start as they should, with their back knee inside the back foot. Then shift the knee directly forward to create the weight shift. This eliminates the rocking motion and head backwards. Once set, they simply rotate. She might also try a knee-knock load or toe-touch load to create less backward tilt. That is me at age 66 doing the knee-knock. I can't find my toe-touch but the last two photos of Dani Gilmore (Oregon State) hint at it. She was our 2nd best hitter on the national team (best batting average), and her photos are reversed from LH. She kept her knee inside her back foot very well. Slid her toe back during load, touched it, then went into stride.
Thank you.

Jun 8, 2016
Good hit! Jmo i still believe the reason she reaches and the shoulders go up side down is because she is striding with the rear leg. If she does it right on deck, I think that's because she isn't giving Any thought about the rear leg or anylegs for that matter.

But then again I could be talking out my a** 🤣
I have no idea what leg she is striding with but whatever it is it isn't working out for her.. :p

Like I said in a previous post we have been doing the feet together drill on front toss and she is doing well with it but hasn't transferred any of that feeling to her game swing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We have been doing the feet together drill with front toss and have had her coiling as she moves when she does but not to the extent of showing her chest to the catcher. She is getting the bat head out better but the move out is still not good though. We will keep working the feet together, where she does move out well, and hopefully it will transfer at some point...hopefully???
showing the chest is a way to make sure separation happens. Now if shes fully turned, that’s bad. Use your judgement. But it will sequence her a bit better. Seriously like her swing. I think she will have some big games soon.shes doing more right then wrong.

make sure when she does the drill the hips and shoulders are angled the same at the start. Kinda important.

Oct 2, 2017
I have no idea what leg she is striding with but whatever it is it isn't working out for her.. :p

Like I said in a previous post we have been doing the feet together drill on front toss and she is doing well with it but hasn't transferred any of that feeling to her game swing.
It's kinda hard to tell. What does she do with the upper half when she begins her gather?

Jun 8, 2016
showing the chest is a way to make sure separation happens. Now if shes fully turned, that’s bad. Use your judgement. But it will sequence her a bit better. Seriously like her swing. I think she will have some big games soon.shes doing more right then wrong.

make sure when she does the drill the hips and shoulders are angled the same at the start. Kinda important.
You are probably not a big fan but along with the feet together we have been doing a 45 degree SNF drill on front toss which has a similar setup as to what you are talking about..no stride however.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KHarris28