Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 10 Years Old

Jul 29, 2013
I’m not doing anything other than working right now, send her here to NC for a week, I’ll straighten her out for you!

Promise not to mention that high leg...........never mind.

Jun 8, 2016
Pitching wasn't great but she swung it a little better today the last few games. I actually only watched the last 1.5 of her games because I wanted to watch some of the Gold bracket games (ok really I was sick of watching their pitchers walk everybody...). I just told her to be loose and athletic up there ( that is usually my go to when I am out of ideas..)..She told me she didn't feel any different but she looked quicker in general regardless of the pitching and the fact that she only got 1 hit in those games ( a medium fly to LF which the LF took 5 steps in before realizing it was 5 steps over her head). She also lined out to left and hit a liner to LF which was a few feet foul. Like I said, pitching wasn't great but she was getting the bat head out which she has not done in forever even on slow pitching. I am sure her mechanics did not change..probably a combination of the quality of pitching and intent..who knows. They also went deep into the bracket for the first time in a while (granted it was the Bronze bracket and there were only 7 teams in it...) and she always seems to swing better when that happens.

Anyways, her team doesn't have practice tomorrow but she said she wanted to go to the field anyway so I have to figure what I want to do. I will probably just let her hit till the season is over before trying to CAREFULLY address anything if I do. I typically don't do a lot of instructing but even saying 1 thing get her all screwy it seems..I think @RichK mentioned goal oriented training (basically what I did for most of my career..LOL), which I do at times, for her and at her age and her personality,etc that may be the best bet for now. See if she can use her athleticism to figure out what needs to be done...We'll see.

They are off next weekend and then we go to Iowa for "Nationals". If somebody had told me when I was 15 YO that I would be watching fastpitch softball in OK and IA when I was 45 YO I would have told them they were nuts.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
May I ask how the games/tourneys are run in regards to the safety policies for the virus? You've obviously gone to lots of games and practices...how does your coach handle it and what policies are there now that you have seen? Thx

Jun 8, 2016
May I ask how the games/tourneys are run in regards to the safety policies for the virus? You've obviously gone to lots of games and practices...how does your coach handle it and what policies are there now that you have seen? Thx
Only real consistent differences I have noticed are each team uses their own balls and no handshake line afterwards. I think the bleachers may have been blocked off for one tournament as well and in one tournament they wouldn't let teams into the park until it was their time for a game (which caused a big backup line at the gate which probably was worse...)

In terms of the team specific behavior they have kept to themselves more than usual in between games (no "tik-toking" with other teams like they were last Fall, etc) but nothing dramatic.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pitching wasn't great but she swung it a little better today the last few games. I actually only watched the last 1.5 of her games because I wanted to watch some of the Gold bracket games (ok really I was sick of watching their pitchers walk everybody...). I just told her to be loose and athletic up there ( that is usually my go to when I am out of ideas..)..She told me she didn't feel any different but she looked quicker in general regardless of the pitching and the fact that she only got 1 hit in those games ( a medium fly to LF which the LF took 5 steps in before realizing it was 5 steps over her head). She also lined out to left and hit a liner to LF which was a few feet foul. Like I said, pitching wasn't great but she was getting the bat head out which she has not done in forever even on slow pitching. I am sure her mechanics did not change..probably a combination of the quality of pitching and intent..who knows. They also went deep into the bracket for the first time in a while (granted it was the Bronze bracket and there were only 7 teams in it...) and she always seems to swing better when that happens.

Anyways, her team doesn't have practice tomorrow but she said she wanted to go to the field anyway so I have to figure what I want to do. I will probably just let her hit till the season is over before trying to CAREFULLY address anything if I do. I typically don't do a lot of instructing but even saying 1 thing get her all screwy it seems..I think @RichK mentioned goal oriented training (basically what I did for most of my career..LOL), which I do at times, for her and at her age and her personality,etc that may be the best bet for now. See if she can use her athleticism to figure out what needs to be done...We'll see.

They are off next weekend and then we go to Iowa for "Nationals". If somebody had told me when I was 15 YO that I would be watching fastpitch softball in OK and IA when I was 45 YO I would have told them they were nuts.
I'm a fan of goal oriented training. My preference is to do this on a field because it is easier to see and gauge the results. But I do it within the cage as well. The cage we typically go to has small signs hanging in certain places, so we use those as targets. Not sure why, but DD's favorite target always seem to be me... The pitching screen gets hit a lot...

Glad to see she had a better day. I realize it may not be a mechanical change, but the game is just so much more fun when you have some success. And ultimately, if it isn't fun, why would someone that age want to do it?

Apr 11, 2015
Thanks. Not sure I would call it analysis by paralysis but more second guessing myself for some things. Go and search my 1st thread on this board and you will see the constant battle I have going on in my head. Anyway....
Would love to, but apparently didn't make the cut...
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 8.51.32 AM.png
🤷‍♂️😋

Apr 11, 2015
Oh OK, let me see if I can answer that question from two years ago for you about whether instruction or just letting them figure somethings out on their own works best at different times for differnet players....
Sometimes just not coaching for awhile has great benefit for both player and coach - me speaking from experience with my youngest - and you'll be surprised at just how well letting them go out there with "see the ball, hit the ball" as the only thing on their mind will start freeing them up so to speak.
Guess all I'm saying is that sometimes we're just too close to the situation to be able to see the forest through the trees...and why sometimes we need to step back for a moment to get a better perspective of exactly where we are on the map of getting to where we want to go.

IOWs, what or where we see ourselves on the map because we're so zoomed in, might be the same exact spot we're telling others to avoid when looking at their map from a much wider viewpoint.

Zoom out pattar, and see if you're still headed down the same road you initially thought you started out on, or if you need to change directions a bit to get you to where you want to go faster, and with way less bumps in the road.

Jun 8, 2016
Oh OK, let me see if I can answer that question from two years ago for you about whether instruction or just letting them figure somethings out on their own works best at different times for differnet players....

Guess all I'm saying is that sometimes we're just too close to the situation to be able to see the forest through the trees...and why sometimes we need to step back for a moment to get a better perspective of exactly where we are on the map of getting to where we want to go.

IOWs, what or where we see ourselves on the map because we're so zoomed in, might be the same exact spot we're telling others to avoid when looking at their map from a much wider viewpoint.

Zoom out pattar, and see if you're still headed down the same road you initially thought you started out on, or if you need to change directions a bit to get you to where you want to go faster, and with way less bumps in the road.
Thanks. My wife (and oldest son) love maps..I usually just stop and ask for directions at a gas station multiple times (usually not the same one)... :LOL:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016

Son was messing with the wife’s phone and took this. Love the aggressiveness but we seem to be having some arm slot issues when throwing on the run 😄 Something to work on I guess (even though I’ve already talked to her about this as she airmailed a few of these this yesr..)

This is what I deal with when watching her.. I see all the little things she is doing incorrectly:( Sometimes I wish I didn’t know anything about the game...

Edit: Also coaches need to have a chat with 2B about her ready position..lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yondu1977