Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 10 Years Old

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Scenario. Player has two major flaws, one which you think is more important to fix but the player doesn't seem to have the body awareness yet to feel what she is doing wrong (player has stated as much) and the second which you deem less important but the player is able to recognize and correct when told but is unable to be consistent with it, mainly because you are not concentrating on it. Which one do you pursue, assuming that is a good idea to only work on one mechanic at a time?

Ok, not a scenario, it's Marcela (surprise surprise) but I figured it sounded more sophisticated if I posed it that way :LOL:

Also, for her media day, Marcela has to answer the question of who is her favorite player. Last year she said Mookie Betts, this year it is Grace Lyons. Should I be concerned that her favorite player has changed from a MVP level hitter/fielder to a no hit/all field SS ;) ?
If she has the understanding and awareness to be able to make a correction, help her make it. Keep working on the other thing, too, but challenge yourself to find another way to approach the same issue. It's easy to keep saying the same things over and over, but if those descriptions don't help the player connect the dots, progress will stop.

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
If she has the understanding and awareness to be able to make a correction, help her make it. Keep working on the other thing, too, but challenge yourself to find another way to approach the same issue. It's easy to keep saying the same things over and over, but if those descriptions don't help the player connect the dots, progress will stop.
Thanks.

Agree about figuring out a different way of approaching things. I need to figure out how to get her to transfer what she does without a moving ball, with regards to her stride, to a moving ball. She does fine off the tee and when she demonstrates moving out correctly with a dry swing she is good, not perfect but good. However once a ball is thrown, in BP or a game, no dice. Of late I have been doing more front toss (with slower speed) with me just sitting on a chair (as opposed to my old man windmill) and telling her to forget the result and just concentrate on trying to duplicate the feel of what she is doing off the tee with her move out but it hasn't worked of yet, maybe because she is having a hard time feeling it even off the tee. It has only been a few weeks so we will see. It is still a mystery to me at this point.

Apr 16, 2013
One thing I told my DD years ago was not to worry about where the ball was being hit or how hard. Also, stop tee work. Only do front toss with the ball in motion. She's concentrating on doing the movement correctly and properly timing the ball while doing it. As has been said, only ever work on one thing. I know I posted it around here but I went back and looked at my 8/9yo DD and lord, what a mess. LOL I let her know that getting a good swing was going to take years and years of practice. It won't ever be an overnight thing. Now, at 16, she can make instant adjustments when we talk about it because she understands the feel of all the pieces. SO, above all else, don't worry about it. You and her working together as much as you do is what will make the difference. As long as she keeps on willing to do it. Oh, if you don't already, invest in a batting cage. It doesn't have to be big or pretty. For the cost of 2 bats, you can have your own, that is if you don't already. The best investments I've ever made was the cage and video recording. I'd probably add a pitching machine to that, used it for many years with baseball; but haven't touched it since she moved to softball.

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
One thing I told my DD years ago was not to worry about where the ball was being hit or how hard. Also, stop tee work. Only do front toss with the ball in motion. She's concentrating on doing the movement correctly and properly timing the ball while doing it. As has been said, only ever work on one thing. I know I posted it around here but I went back and looked at my 8/9yo DD and lord, what a mess. LOL I let her know that getting a good swing was going to take years and years of practice. It won't ever be an overnight thing. Now, at 16, she can make instant adjustments when we talk about it because she understands the feel of all the pieces. SO, above all else, don't worry about it. You and her working together as much as you do is what will make the difference. As long as she keeps on willing to do it. Oh, if you don't already, invest in a batting cage. It doesn't have to be big or pretty. For the cost of 2 bats, you can have your own, that is if you don't already. The best investments I've ever made was the cage and video recording. I'd probably add a pitching machine to that, used it for many years with baseball; but haven't touched it since she moved to softball.
She only does tee work with her team. I haven't done any in months, not that I am against it, but what she does off the tee doesn't transfer to her live ball swing so I figured I might as well just work with that. We don't have a batting cage but we already hit together 3 or 4 times a week. At this point anything more than that would be overkill I think. Her team has an indoor facility and we hit before or after each of her team practices (when we have to drive up there anyway) and again once or twice a week on a field near our house.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Great post, JAG! (y) :D

Thinking back, one of the things I had Maddie do pretty early on was watch herself doing slow-mo dry swings in a mirror (sliding patio doors, in our case), and try to see and feel differences in body positions for herself. I catch her still doing it from time to time.

Aug 2, 2019
Was hitting on the field last night and all of a sudden Marcela tells me she wishes she was a lefty hitter. I was like crap, all this work, and she wants to slap. So with trepidation I asked her why. She says, "because the batters box isn't all messed up". I looked over and yup, the LH batters box didn't have be holes in it like the RH box did...LOL!!
This is a big reason I switched to lefty when I was 9 or 10. That and George Brett was my favorite player.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oudrees