Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 10 Years Old

Jan 13, 2020
It cannot be totally mental. There has to be something, even in her BP swings, which is just getting accentuated due to the timing aspect in the game which is causing it.
Maybe if she see someone other than dad explain it ? 🤷‍♂️

- Softball Hitting Tip: Elbow UP or DOWN?

Jun 8, 2016
Had her move her handset back and get her elbow up some, e.g where it is in BP..., but didn't really help with the early leveling. With the leveling she can hit slow pitching when the ball is at her waist or above. The resulting slop/flat path makes is very difficult to get to balls lower/faster than that. You can see the issue with lower pitches on the foul ball in the representative AB that starts at 45:30:00 in the below FB live video

She ended up 3 for 7 on the weekend with a couple of walks and a HBP. They will face better pitching and she will have to clean up that leveling if she wants to be able to hit.

Overall her fielding was pretty good this weekend. She makes a nice play around 59:30:00 in the above FB live (ball came up on her at the end too..was surprised she gloved it). Biggest issue for her at the moment fielding wise is hard hit balls right at her..she tends to not work through the ball enough on those and get caught a bit too flat footed at times. Unfortunately the field we practice on is rough so I am a bit apprehensive about rocketing them at her when we take ground balls which is probably what she needs..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If it was the 1980's she would be set..unfortunately SS have to hit now :LOL:
The leveling is forcing her to adjust with her body. Unless she gets a pitch in her wheel house, it will be hard to make solid contact. But if she is still able to go 3 for 7, she may not realize or understand the problem.

Jun 8, 2016
The leveling is forcing her to adjust with her body. Unless she gets a pitch in her wheel house, it will be hard to make solid contact. But if she is still able to go 3 for 7, she may not realize or understand the problem.
Yes sir. She understands the issue and is able to not do it in BP but something about the game causes her to do it. There are things that need work in her BP swing too but I am not sure correcting any of that will help with the wrist abduction thing she has going on.. 🤷‍♂️ She would probably be well served to start/swing from the neck slot but if I tried suggesting that I would more than likely be fired as her Dad...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
Yes sir. She understands the issue and is able to not do it in BP but something about the game causes her to do it. There are things that need work in her BP swing too but I am not sure correcting any of that will help with the wrist abduction thing she has going on.. 🤷‍♂️ She would probably be well served to start/swing from the neck slot but if I tried suggesting that I would more than likely be fired as her Dad...
Marcela looked good out there. Thought she was more aware of working the elbow especially the foul ball. That's promising 😎.

When my right-handed hitting DGD was in a slump last year, had her work the elbow and try to hit every pitch over 2nd base person head for two games. It worked (whew, I'm still grandpa).

Jun 8, 2016
Marcela looked good out there. Thought she was more aware of working the elbow especially the foul ball. That's promising 😎.

When my right-handed hitting DGD was in a slump last year, had her work the elbow and try to hit every pitch over 2nd base person head for two games. It worked (whew, I'm still grandpa).
Thanks.

With regards to the early leveling, she really just needs to be conscious of not letting the barrel drop. You can see her work (abduct) her wrists before she launches..that needs to go. That said I am not sure one can hit if they are thinking about their mechanics when they are in the box so I am not sure telling her to think about that is the best idea..quite the conundrum.