Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 10 Years Old

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I didn't really answer your question so I acted like there was no glass :LOL:
Let me put it this way. If you ask me if I think this young lady is a good hitter I would say yes, she is playing for Florida. Likewise if you ask me if I think Marcela is a good hitter I would say yes, she is holding her own with girls who are 1 to almost (in some cases) 3 years older than her. Doesn't mean that I don't think improvements could be made to make them better. No elite athlete is ever happy with the status quo....
Yes the athletic adventure is always striving to be better. Remember to have fun while on the adventure.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019
I didn't really answer your question so I acted like there was no glass :LOL:
Let me put it this way. If you ask me if I think this young lady is a good hitter I would say yes, she is playing for Florida. Likewise if you ask me if I think Marcela is a good hitter I would say yes, she is holding her own with girls who are 1 to almost (in some cases) 3 years older than her. Doesn't mean that I don't think improvements could be made to make them better. No elite athlete is ever happy with the status quo....
At least their parents aren’t. ;)

Jun 8, 2016
A little better on the move out. What changes did you make?
Just told her to try and move out slower... :LOL:
That said it is only marginally better, still uphill at launch which @Work=wins seems to think will go away if I give her a swing down cue but I still think it is something else that is causing it. I don't know. I am trying to look at Yelich's actions to see what the difference is which causes him to be in a better "attack position" at launch. It is possible that the thought of swinging down will keep the front shoulder down or it may be that Yelich's better use of his upper back on his move out is keeping him from being uphill, not sure.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
On the other hand, this one doesn't stride at all (but does have severe bat drag and drops his hands :rolleyes: )

Oct 2, 2017
Just told her to try and move out slower... :LOL:
That said it is only marginally better, still uphill at launch which @Work=wins seems to think will go away if I give her a swing down cue but I still think it is something else that is causing it. I don't know. I am trying to look at Yelich's actions to see what the difference is which causes him to be in a better "attack position" at launch. It is possible that the thought of swinging down will keep the front shoulder down or it may be that Yelich's better use of his upper back on his move out is keeping him from being uphill, not sure.
The up hill could possibly just be the lack separation being created. Currently I see coil back and uncoil on the move out. IMO. Along with what I sent you previously, I think if you did some timing the separation work on the tee you would see some progress. I don't know if you think that happens naturally on its own and is a no teach, but I think some players need it. Especially young players.

This Allie doing some separation timing.

Jun 8, 2016
The up hill could possibly just be the lack separation being created. Currently I see coil back and uncoil on the move out. IMO. Along with what I sent you previously, I think if you did some timing the separation work on the tee you would see some progress. I don't know if you think that happens naturally on its own and is a no teach, but I think some players need it. Especially young players.

This Allie doing some separation timing.

She was doing a better job of that a few months ago, imo

somewhere along the way she lost it. There wasn't specific instruction that got her to that point that was any different than what I have been telling her for the last few months. That said she is still a bit uphill at launch in those swings as well. IMO, the above swings are the best ones she has taken. Her swings right now seem stiff and unathletic..not a fan tbh :confused:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
She was doing a better job of that a few months ago, imo

somewhere along the way she lost it. There wasn't specific instruction that got her to that point that was any different than what I have been telling her for the last few months. That said she is still a bit uphill at launch in those swings as well. IMO, the above swings are the best ones she has taken. Her swings right now seem stiff and unathletic..not a fan tbh :confused:
Hmmm. Maybe go back to letting her just trying to smash it.

(Im sure youve done this but) Watch the load/gather from the one in the quote above. Vs the one from friday. Vs the one from today. I dont think the stride has been helped all that much, meanwhile the load has suffered.

Fight the stride battle another day. Discretion is the better part of valor