Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 10 Years Old

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Right she is compensating because, as it has been forever, she is moving out improperly. We talk about all this and I have her do dry movements where she is fine but once the ball is in the air...Thanks for the drill recommendation. @FP26 mentioned this a long time ago as well although I am not sure the modification he mentioned is the same as what you are suggesting.
I have them start shoulder width apart(flat footed), balanced. Bat vertical, tallish stance, hands at the letters, no higher. I throw front toss moderately. The command is ‘keep your head still during the load’ and ‘you cannot move until the release of the ball’. Let them self organize to get the bat to the ball.

front toss from about 10-15 ft away. Stay on them about not cheating to move early. On the release only! if done right, it cleans up a lot. Shows them they don’t need a lot to create a lot.

notice how the load takes place. Important.

Jun 8, 2016
I have them start shoulder width apart(flat footed), balanced. Bat vertical, tallish stance, hands at the letters, no higher. I throw front toss moderately. The command is ‘keep your head still during the load’ and ‘you cannot move until the release of the ball’. Let them self organize to get the bat to the ball.

front toss from about 10-15 ft away. Stay on them about not cheating to move early. On the release only! if done right, it cleans up a lot. Shows them they don’t need a lot to create a lot.

notice how the load takes place. Important.
Thanks. I can pretty much guarantee she will hate that drill and we will get into an argument about doing it :LOL:

Jun 8, 2016
Sounds like she’s her father’s daughter. 😆
In reality that is one of the main issues here..she is me with her mother's nose (luckily for her) and it is becoming
more and more apparent as she gets older. Somewhere in his living room in MA my old man is laughing...

Jun 8, 2016
maybe showing her that college girls do drills etc she will come around. explain that your always trying to learn and get better. Just like school. Might work.
I've shown her, she does some. She likes the Happy Gilmore drill but any drill which constrains her movement she hates when in reality that is probably exactly what she needs to get it under control.. 🤷‍♂️

Jun 8, 2016
I hear ya.
I may just have to wait till she gets more meat on her bones..if I tried to move like she does I would pull a groin, two hamstrings and both my obliques. Of course that may come with puberty so I should probably be careful what I wish for...

Feb 25, 2020
If I were you, I'd show her Rendon and challenge her to impersonate his swing and see what it looks like and show her the video.

She is obviously very athletic.

Id say take a break but thats obviously not going to happen these days.

Jun 8, 2016
If I were you, I'd show her Rendon and challenge her to impersonate his swing and see what it looks like and show her the video.
Thank you.

In terms of emulating Rendon is there something specific in his swing you think would be helpful or
is just the simplicity/lack of movement?
Not sure I follow on why she couldn't take a break right now?

In terms of why she needs one, are you talking about her attitude or something else?
Either way that isn't necessarily a bad idea and
it is something that I have been contemplating. Unfortunately it also goes against my personality as
I am the type of person who when confronted with a problem my first inclination is to work harder..it
hasn't necessarily always worked out for me though :confused:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisaeiland