Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 10 Years Old

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
Not a good weekend of hitting ..things appear to be headed in the wrong direction. Whatever I am trying to do with her isn't working :(.

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
What’s the issue? Ground balls, strikeouts, flyouts?
Crappy swing? :LOL:
Ground balls bad contact. She has struck more of late too but not from swings and misses. Same issues she has had for 50 years it seems, cannot get her to stride out correctly and she lays the bat flat before she launches...her position at toe touch is UGLY. The issues aren't a mystery..I just cannot fix them it appears. Swing looks horrible in games. BP she has looked better for the most part but she hasn't hit well in games for a number months now.

Oct 2, 2017
Ground balls bad contact. She has struck more of late too but not from swings and misses. Same issues she has had for 50 years it seems, cannot get her to stride out correctly and she lays the bat flat before she launches...her position at toe touch is UGLY. The issues aren't a mystery..I just cannot fix them it appears. Swing looks horrible in games. BP she has looked better for the most part but she hasn't hit well in games for a number months now.
Try doing what I've done with my DD the last 3 sessions, that made a huge difference in my DD's hitting over the weekend. Do front toss only. But tell her that you want her as completely relaxed as possible. I even wouldn't toss until she told me that she was completely relaxed. From the shoulders to her legs. Even to her hands gripping the bat. I even had my DD just rest the bat on her shoulder. When front tossing you say "go" at the same time you start to swing your arm back. This forces her to slow down and be in control of her stride and in time. You want her stride to be as soft as possible. Also no coil, no forcing separation. Quality of contact is not important. Being relaxed, smooth and in control is the goal.

Apr 28, 2019
Have you taken video and gone over it with her?

Apr 28, 2019
It looks like she is over striding to the ball. Almost like she’s to anxious to hit. Bat speed is good just reaching for the ball too much. Needs to be patient and let the ball come to her.
The question is how to accomplish this.
Maybe try putting something in front of her lead foot so she can only stride so far. That way she will be better balanced and in a better position to hit the ball.

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
Try doing what I've done with my DD the last 3 sessions, that made a huge difference in my DD's hitting over the weekend. Do front toss only. But tell her that you want her as completely relaxed as possible. I even wouldn't toss until she told me that she was completely relaxed. From the shoulders to her legs. Even to her hands gripping the bat. I even had my DD just rest the bat on her shoulder. When front tossing you say "go" at the same time you start to swing your arm back. This forces her to slow down and be in control of her stride and in time. You want her stride to be as soft as possible. Also no coil, no forcing separation. Quality of contact is not important. Being relaxed, smooth and in control is the goal.
Thanks. She is starting early enough but her move out and the early leveling are just putting her in a horrible position to launch the bat. I know she knows what is supposed to do as her practice swings in the on-deck circle and between pitches are correct (or at least substantially better) with regards to her moving out. You can see her thinking about what we have been talking about and trying to fee it. However once a ball is thrown at, especially in a game (it is better in BP but still not where it should be), it appears she doesn't think that she can get to the ball if she shifts her center of mass forward so instead just basically sits on her back leg and reaches out with her front leg all the while leveling her barreling before launch. She has also gotten into her legs more now in her stance, for whatever reason (never mentioned for her to do it..) which in theory shouldn't be an issue, but I think that combined with the abovementioned issues is jut making her body position at launch that much worse than when she standed taller in her stance.

I've been good at encouraging her and hiding my frustration but I can see that she is pressing which of course is the issue with slumps. However unlike most MLBers, the slump here is caused by some glaring mechanical issues so just telling her to relax and just hit isn't really going to help much.

Last edited:

pattar

Clueless..
Jun 8, 2016
It looks like she is over striding to the ball. Almost like she’s to anxious to hit. Bat speed is good just reaching for the ball too much. Needs to be patient and let the ball come to her.
The question is how to accomplish this.
Maybe try putting something in front of her lead foot so she can only stride so far. That way she will be better balanced and in a better position to hit the ball.
Overstriding in games isn't really the problem, at times in BP it can be especially with slow pitching but that is a symptom of how she is striding e.g. not getting her COM forward and reaching with her front leg. With a slow pitcher she will just keep reaching,reaching until she overstrides.

I didn't get video from this weekend (my wife needs a new cellphone and I don't own one) but you can see an AB here on FB live. Albeit it isn't the best angle but all the issues are obvious. You can see her thinking about trying to move out properly in between pitches but it goes out the window once she is in the box (go to 18:30 in the video)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Thanks. She is starting early enough but her move out and the early leveling are just putting her in a horrible position to launch the bat. I know she knows what is supposed to do as her practice swings in the on-deck circle and between pitches are correct with regards to her moving out. You can see her thinking about what we have been talking about and trying to fee it. However once a ball is thrown at, especially in a game (it is better in BP but still not where it should be), it appears she doesn't think that she can get to the ball if she shifts her center of mass forward so instead just basically sits on her back leg and reaches out with her front leg all the while leveling her barreling before launch. She has also gotten into her legs more now in her stance, for whatever reason (never mentioned for her to do it..) which in theory shouldn't be an issue, but I think that combined with the abovementioned issues is jut making her body position at launch that much worse than when she standed taller in her stance.

I've been good at encouraging her and hiding my frustration but I can see that she is pressing which of course is the issue with slumps. However unlike most MLBers, the slump here is caused by some glaring mechanical issues so just telling her to relax and just hit isn't really going to help much.
Pattar the reaching with the front, I truly believe is 2 fold. The first is nerves and anticipation. The reason she doesn't believe she doesn't have enough time to gain ground to hit is because of over anticipation on the mental side of things when in the batters box. Think about it, its anxiety driven, "If, I try to go forward, I'm not going to have enough time to hit the ball." In return she just reaches instead, because her body is naturally responding to the anxiety and firing the improper muscles. One drill that could help is the Chaos front toss drill. 5:25 mark in this video.
The second is, does the player know what it feels like to actually gain ground when striding?

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speedemon518