Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Marcela 10 Years Old

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Some video from tonight. I have no idea how, when you hit 3 times a week, you cannot keep the same handset from one session to the next (see post 182 for her handset from a few weeks ago) :rolleyes: Despite an emphasis on improving her move out, not much improvement in the mechanics and the actual cage results have actually gotten worse the past few weeks. Could be the handset, could be her stride has lengthened again despite the fact I have been working with her to try and control the move out better. Who knows. Most of the time whatever I say/demonstrate/etc doesn't seem to have any effect. Whatever her body feels like doing that day it will do..my instruction would be better served if I was teaching hitting to my office chair it seems :LOL:

Bonus video of the little dude hitting. Dropping his hands .I am oh so looking forward to trying to fix that in the years to come :mad:

Judging by what I see here. The stretch of the core and NOT the rotation of the swing is being thought of as the force producer.

Her move out initially is good. 👏 But her head and upper body remain back which creates unbalanced ‘compensations’. The nose should remain in front of BB into foot down.

The cue of keeping the head still during the negative move is good. But let that and the hands do what they naturally want to do during the forward move. If this were my student, I would also ask for a lower handset during training until the feel of the sequential load is in place. It’s just easier to feel because the hands and arms will travel much further and she can kinesthetically and spacially feel that a bit better. As opposed to the feel in just the shoulder.

She’s close P. Just gotta put the right intentions in the right places.

Nov 18, 2015
... somehow I would be on the couch for a week ...
If this was to occur towards the tail end of the off-season, perhaps starting on a Thursday in early March, it might be a little less "maddening" for you. Some may even see that as a win. Better mood for you? Probably. Better swing for her? Well, maybe not so much... 😏

Apr 17, 2019
Just read through the last few pages, I gotta chime in with my $.02 - She's just 10 and her core/leg/back strength is likely just lacking to be able to pull off some of the suggestions at an elite level. Not saying they're not worth working on, but it's a marathon. Keep focusing on the technical fundamentals (like hand positioning ... ), having fun, and make sure you're working in cross-training and general strength and athleticism too.

Jun 8, 2016
Just read through the last few pages, I gotta chime in with my $.02 - She's just 10 and her core/leg/back strength is likely just lacking to be able to pull off some of the suggestions at an elite level. Not saying they're not worth working on, but it's a marathon. Keep focusing on the technical fundamentals (like hand positioning ... ), having fun, and make sure you're working in cross-training and general strength and athleticism too.
Thanks. She is playing basketball as well and I work with her on that a few times a week, along with her practice/games, so we have the cross-training/athleticism down. To be honest part of the issue right now might her her strength/body awareness hasn't caught up with some of her other athletic abilities (speed,explosiveness, etc.).

Jun 8, 2016
Judging by what I see here. The stretch of the core and NOT the rotation of the swing is being thought of as the force producer.

Her move out initially is good. 👏 But her head and upper body remain back which creates unbalanced ‘compensations’. The nose should remain in front of BB into foot down.
Right, it is the excessive reach with the front leg which causes this. She doesn't do it off the tee so something about a moving ball is causing her to reach.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Right, it is the excessive reach with the front leg which causes this. She doesn't do it off the tee so something about a moving ball is causing her to reach.
Reread the my first paragraph again. I think this thinking is why extra ‘force’ production is almost always a bad idea. Could be wrong. Just a hunch.

I would emphasize the ‘anchoring’ into the ground and maintaining the angles created during this portion, not stretch. Because in reality, the stretch is reactive, the anchoring and angles are active.

Just how I’d go about it.

Jun 8, 2016
Reread the my first paragraph again. I think this thinking is why extra ‘force’ production is almost always a bad idea. Could be wrong. Just a hunch.

I would emphasize the ‘anchoring’ into the ground and maintaining the angles created during this portion, not stretch. Because in reality, the stretch is reactive, the anchoring and angles are active.

Just how I’d go about it.
Thanks. The move out needs to be better, I think we can all agree with that. Not sure if she thinks she is creating extra force/stretch/skittles by doing this as I have never actually asked her. If I had to guess it would be her thinking that forward momentum is the main source of power that is causing what she is doing but I could be wrong.

Last edited: