Mankin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
What is your opinion of what Jack Mankin teaches? As compared to Epstein, Englishbey and others in regards to younger (12-13) year old players.
Please limit your answers to 10,000 words or less.

May 12, 2008
Mankin got a lot right but his top hand torque idea is wrong IMO. Candrea's latest stuff with Right View is good. Which is to say Don Slaught's stuff. The exposition is good except for the rock skipping cue. Some of the demos are lacking. Still all and all a step forward and good for Slaught for getting Mike and Sue on video saying the fp swing is the same as the MLB swing. I like them better than Epstein though if you are trying to get quickly to a certain level he's good. Englishbey is my personal choice.

Jul 14, 2008

Ah........Now I'm impressed........Good for him.........An upper loading pattern that advocates getting the elbow up and behind the hands......BoardMember Style........

No more draggyass "lead with the rear elbow skip the rock" swings.

No more Inverted "V" elbow positions at launch. It's rear elbow up, then front elbow up........

A "live and independent" loading pattern.......So that in his words: "all the forces can come together at the right time to deliver the force to the ball" .........

It was funny to hear him say "I hope I get this right" when he tried it.......He obviously just learn it, and decided he better get it out there quickly if he wanted to keep up..........

Very good.........

May 12, 2008
He's loading the hands back effecting a good shoulder load and adding a complex tipping movement. Fine if the Sheffield bat waving stuff doesn't crash the system. Some ML hitters use this and some don't. Either way you need to start the bathead above the swing plane and get the hands loaded back. Watch you don't create bat drag problems. A little bat drag is fine till it starts impacting quickness. Avoid getting the top hand forearm laid over away from the shoulder. See 21-25 Analysis

Jul 14, 2008
He's loading the hands back effecting a good shoulder load and adding a complex tipping movement. Fine if the Sheffield bat waving stuff doesn't crash the system. Some ML hitters use this and some don't. Either way you need to start the bathead above the swing plane and get the hands loaded back. Watch you don't create bat drag problems. A little bat drag is fine till it starts impacting quickness. Avoid getting the top hand forearm laid over away from the shoulder. See 21-25 Analysis

It's a dril Mark........I'm sure he doesn't advocate starting with the bat anywhere outside the helmet.......

I'm just impress he's finally moved off the rock skipping cue.......

Jul 17, 2008
Candrea live and independent hands/tip and rip:

EXACTLY what Epstein means when he tells kids to rest the bat on their deltoid.

Uh, 1, ah, 2, ah3. . . . .

Now, move to my OTHER drill (Enforcer). Push your hands ALL the way forward while the bat is lagging, THEN turn. See? The bat doesn't hit the fence. Won't hit the ball, either, but. . . .

Another great catch, Tom.

How are the Conner lessons coming?

Jul 17, 2008
I'm just impress he's finally moved off the rock skipping cue.......

As I'm sure you know,the rock skipping clue is in the same material. I doubt that he has moved off of it. Sadly.

I do think he achieves an efficient shoulder load in the clip, as all hitters should. If the tip n rip helps someone do that, they should use it. Getting the efficient shoulder load is crucial - whatever triggers it is probably good.

I'm pretty familiar with most of Candrea's hitters, and don't think ANY of them use tip n rip in live situations. SOME of them DO attain an efficient shoulder load in live situations. But by no means all of them.

Unlike Tom, Candrea has credibility because he has hitters IN live situations. I believe the same is true for Boardmember and Mark H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802