Manipulating the Barrel Early with Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
Ish just got real in here haha. It is real simple as I see it.

RDBASS = Logic. A guy I agree with on pretty much everything he sees. I see it that way because we are explaining what we see.

W=W is a guy who teaches on feel cues. Feel cues that are often not an explanation of what is actually happening. W=W has learned that if he tells a kid to do so and so even if so and so doesn't really represent what actually happens that so and so is a good thing to do.

They both are right in ways but as Obi Wan said it depends on your point of view.

My take is I believe that a player should understand both feel and real. Teach them both, not one or the other.

I have gotten good insights from both of them.

It doesn't matter if you have coached MLB players or only your own DD. You can hit almost 700 HR's in the majors and still be a crap batting instructor. There was a thread about that recently. :). So the pissing contest on that front should end.

May 12, 2016
This was not intentional. And if I was going to misquote somebody, it would be something a little more damaging then that. What sense would that misquote make? I mean it's an obvious mistake, why is everybody adding so much fuel to fire here?? There's no need for these kind of threats, everybody needs to take a deep breath

I hope nobody gets banned here, I respect both of you. Yes RDB, I know we've had it out before, but I'm grateful for your advice.

May 12, 2016
Why didn’t it get fixed immediately when it was pointed out?
Because maybe he didn't know how to do it, it's not the first time I've seen W=w mess up the quoting ... or others for that matter.

I know misquotes can be hurtful... but in what way was that hurtful? You honestly believe he did that on purpose? If so, to what cause? It doesn't make sense

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Ish just got real in here haha. It is real simple as I see it.

RDBASS = Logic. A guy I agree with on pretty much everything he sees. I see it that way because we are explaining what we see.

W=W is a guy who teaches on feel cues. Feel cues that are often not an explanation of what is actually happening. W=W has learned that if he tells a kid to do so and so even if so and so doesn't really represent what actually happens that so and so is a good thing to do.

They both are right in ways but as Obi Wan said it depends on your point of view.

My take is I believe that a player should understand both feel and real. Teach them both, not one or the other.

I have gotten good insights from both of them.

It doesn't matter if you have coached MLB players or only your own DD. You can hit almost 700 HR's in the majors and still be a crap batting instructor. There was a thread about that recently. :). So the pissing contest on that front should end.

James, have you ever felt what its like to be in a fyb leveraged position so the core can pull the hands ? I think the problem is both are describing different movement patterns (cause/effect). Some have felt one pattern but maybe not both.

7DvIasn.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
While some movement patterns may be prioritizing early barrel hand manipulations others appear to be focusing on fyb hitting position.

5WQvT0O.gif

Jun 8, 2016
While some movement patterns may be prioritizing early barrel hand manipulations others appear to be focusing on fyb hitting position.

5WQvT0O.gif
Well you sort of need both. Hard (impossible?) to use the hands correctly (however you think they should be used..) if you are not in the correct (stretched) body position at launch..right?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Well you sort of need both. Hard (impossible?) to use the hands correctly (however you think they should be used..) if you are not in the correct (stretched) body position at launch..right?

Some patterns don't have the fyb stretched body position dependency. The hand forearm relationship combined with coiled rear leg/hip is the stretched dependency.

The turning (snapping) is the cause of barrel acceleration while the other leverages the core to pull the the hands..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28