Manipulating the Barrel Early with Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
The barrel doesn't get manipulated by the hands. The elbows are what turns the barrel. Hands should be the very last thing in the chain.

May 12, 2016
Patter, it goes back to the comparisons of what some of the best have attempted to describe which gets chastised by most of the folks who promote barrel turn.. I think if folks have felt the core pulling the hands they may see the correlation of the 2 Arod swings.

Simple physics really...
  • Mass at end of object(Barrel)
  • Strong angular force pulls the lighter, tapered opposite end of object
  • Weighted end will turn towards force

Jun 8, 2016
Simple physics really...
View attachment 14235
That would work perfectly if you were not holding the bat..draw in the physics of the actual hand holding the bat and what that does...

May 12, 2016
That would work perfectly if you were not holding the bat..draw in the physics of the actual hand holding the bat and what that does...
It depends on grip... should you hold the bat tight or oily and loose? Pros say loose grip. Why do you think they say that? The hands/wrist are an important pivot point. Of course the hands help with providing direction as well. Just the way I see it..

Nov 16, 2017
Simple physics really...
View attachment 14235

I agree with this however without being 3 dimensional it leaves out the most important idea that the first bit of the bats travel is the result of the barrel being turned by the elbows. Once at front elbow up back elbow down position then the red line begins.

May 12, 2016
I agree with this however without being 3 dimensional it leaves out the most important idea that the first bit of the bats travel is the result of the barrel being turned by the elbows. Once at front elbow up back elbow down position then the red line begins.
Rotating the triangle...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Simple physics really...
View attachment 14235

Based on this ^^^ diagram, once the barrel is in line with the direction of force (red line), the force will no longer continue to aid rotation around the pivot point. It will only continue to rotate due to the momentum created in the first part of its movement, unless additional forces are added later in the rotation.

Since we want the barrel to rotate from its starting point to contact point in the shortest time possible, adding force in the direction of rotation (blue arrow) at the very beginning will increase the rate of acceleration, and decrease the time of rotation.Julray Diagram (rev).png

May 12, 2016
Based on this ^^^ diagram, once the barrel is in line with the direction of force (red line), the force will no longer continue to aid rotation around the pivot point. It will only continue to rotate due to the momentum created in the first part of its movement, unless additional forces are added later in the rotation.

Since we want the barrel to rotate from its starting point to contact point in the shortest time possible, adding force in the direction of rotation (blue arrow) at the very beginning will increase the rate of acceleration, and decrease the time of rotation.View attachment 14236
Can't argue with that.. always seeking knowledge. And you believe this is the result of the hitter focusing to TTB with hands/forearms? That was a rhetorical question, I know what your answer is. This is a very independent/isolated type movement... why don't the pros talk about it? I wonder if they use their hands to find direction while the body pulls.. IDK the answer, just wondering out loud and it still puzzles me that the pros don't even know they are doing this. Like I said it's a very focused type movement..??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802