Manipulating the Barrel Early with Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Why not use both..

I think the best leverage all available resources.. The difference is one pattern forces the snap from behind a corner while the other allows for the core to pull the hands. Most have never felt the position so they end up pushing the hands.. IMO thats what has fueled the forcing of the snapping barrel turn from behind the corner.

Jun 8, 2016
I think the best leverage all available resources.. The difference is one pattern forces the snap from behind a corner while the other allows for the core to pull the hands. Most have never felt the position so they end up pushing the hands.. IMO thats what has fueled the forcing of the snapping barrel turn from behind the corner.
The "corner" should be "held" as one moves out..is that just not FYB? Turn it forward..

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Turn it forward..

Patter, it goes back to the comparisons of what some of the best have attempted to describe which gets chastised by most of the folks who promote barrel turn.. I think if folks have felt the core pulling the hands they may see the correlation of the 2 Arod swings.

jzIoqVr.gif

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Kinesthesia or body feel is a tricky thing. The particular feel that dominates your perception of your swing depends on where you focus your attention. Attention itself is like a flashlight beam, you can narrow it or widen it within certain limits but you can't focus it on two things at once.

If your focus is on your top hand you are more likely to think that turning the barrel dominates the swing. If your focus is on the bottom hand then you think pulling or taking the knob to the ball is the most important part of the swing.

In general you don't think about turning the barrel with the bottom hand and you don't take the knob to the ball with the top hand.

Aug 20, 2017
It looks to me like the initial tilt of the shoulders, combined with the continuous stretch of the hands, stretches the core and begins the turn of the barrel deep. I see a direct correlation between the angle of the shoulders and direction the knob is turning

Oct 2, 2017
Patter, it goes back to the comparisons of what some of the best have attempted to describe which gets chastised by most of the folks who promote barrel turn.. I think if folks have felt the core pulling the hands they may see the correlation of the 2 Arod swings.

jzIoqVr.gif

I've said it before, its context. The one on the right is Arod thinking about a ball sitting still. Eyes never move from that focal point. The left is a moving ball coming to him to drive somewhere. The right: he is not even close to thinking of hitting a ball somewhere. The Left: he has a tracking focal point, intent, rotation, tilt, resistance, you name it going on. The right NONE of those things. If you Add everything going on from the left to the right one with the same action he is performing on the right, believe you will get the same result that's on the left.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802