Making the switch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks. Lots of info there. FYI the substitute rule is the same in baseball if I understand you correctly. A starter can be subbed for and re enter one time. A sub can not re enter.

Subs can reenter in softball. All players get a reentry. Nfhs 3.3.5

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Many tournaments have free substitution. Often, the only time I see substitution rules enforced is during state and "national" tournaments.

Sep 29, 2014
Biggest thing is the speed of the game, there is no bobble the ball and get a runner with even just average speed out at first.

As for cutoffs which you mentioned, my general rule at almost all ages is if the outfielder is coming forward to catch the ball you don't need a cutoff, if the ball is hit over their head and they are bending down by the fence you can have a cutoff out there but by HS you really should need cutoffs except for plays at the plate and your really good player won't need that either.

If you hae been remotely watching your girls play softball you will be fine the things like DP/Flex and look back etc. will become second nature once it clicks which should be pretty quickly.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. I live in a house with 4 females (5 counting the cat) so I understand the emotional side of things. Well, not really understand but you get the idea. Lol.

Time to get a dog! ;)

In addition to making the effort to educate yourself, talk to your top players (most likely, they are experienced travel ball players who have been in the game for many years). Find out how they are used to handling coverages and cutoffs. If what they tell you makes sense, go with it.

Jul 31, 2019
Many tournaments have free substitution. Often, the only time I see substitution rules enforced is during state and "national" tournaments.

Most tourneys allow for free substitution in pool play but not bracket

no rule regulating the number of innings a pitcher can pitch

if you learn to use the DP/Flex effectively, you can keep 10 players involved in bracket games, and up to 11 players if they allow extra hitters

If done correctly, in theory, you could alternate pitchers every pitch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478