Making a timid girl "Ms. Attitude"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
Put her into martial arts classes during the off-season. It's good conditioning and they demand a confident attitude and controlled but spirited aggression.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I once asked my DD if it bothers her when she hits a batter. She told me that she has never TRIED to hit a batter and when she did it was because the batter didn't move fast enough, it's part of the game, no big deal.

Dec 28, 2008
Let her know when she faces the 14U girls I instruct they are trying to take her head off and won't have any sympathy if she doesn't react quickly enough to get her glove on it. ;) [jk they will feel sorry but she doesn't need to know that]

I would ask her to decide if she wants to help the sport get better or not. If she takes it easy on players, then they aren't learning anything. If they aren't learning the sport stagnates. If she wants the sport to improve she will be as aggressive as possible in forcing batters to learn new things. How to turn and take the pitch. How to react faster. Yes she may hit some, but only through pain does someone make the needed improvements. When those players make the necessary improvements then our sport grows.

Feb 10, 2013
There is always a "switch" that can be flipped..Just takes time to find it....Keep looking and talking to her..You will know it when you hear it..

Jan 29, 2012
Find a pitcher that's comparable to her or better and tell her that girl is there to take her spot....meow, cat fight!

(Ha, just went through this with my dd)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
"Its the pitchers job to pitch and the batters job to get out of the way"....
Best advise ever!

When my DD was learning to pitch in 10U, her first practice she hit two girls. They were crying, my DD was crying, it was a mess. The next lesson with her PC I told him before we got started and he said don't worry, I'll talk to her. He looked her in the eyes and said
"Listen to me, it's 50% the hitters job to get out of the way but if you're going to hit them, hit them on the first pitch so you don't wear yourself out !" It has never bothered her since. coach James is right , best advise ever !

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
How about beating her with a 2x4? That usually works wonders.

Playing well isn't about "aggressiveness" or "desire" or any such nonsense that you hear about on SportsCenter. It is about EXECUTION. She either plays the game correctly or she doesn't.

If she isn't coming inside on batters, then she isn't pitching correctly. Sit her down and let her watch someone else pitch. Tell her why she is sitting, and then put her back out there next game. Rinse and repeat.

If you can't sit her down because she is your best pitcher, then find another pitcher or two and give the one does the best job more playing time. It is a simple world.

I needed to read this.... This weekend my AC and I came up with a new slogan for our team. "Just do it, EXECUTE!"
We are trying to get our 12U girls to understand that the game is about executing properly more often and longer than the opponent in a game to earn a win.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812