Making a little girl cry.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Emily and I were over to the local park. We were going to practice a little. There was a LL game going on 9-10 year olds. This girl at bat rips this ball over the right fielders head. The little girl runs and gets the ball. She was just this little thing, well she gets the ball and instead of throwing it, she runs it in before she throws it. Well the coach came on glued, he screams at this little girl, about not throwing it. When I mean scream, I mean a complete azz. Everybody had that look on their face. Well needless to say the little girl started to cry. The plate ump calls time, he walks out to right field gets to the little girl gets down on one knee and talks to her, pats her on the back and goes right to the coach and gives him a ear full. Both sides of fans clap. I have a feeling that coach might of coached is last game, I hope it is.

May 18, 2009
If you don't teach the kids what to do then you shouldn't be yelling at them for what they didn't learn. This is the reason I may be coaching next year.

Dec 16, 2012
There is a difference between yelling TO a player and yelling AT a player. Yelling AT a player is not acceptable on my team. They are 10 year old girls playing a kids game for God sake. if one of my AC's yell AT a player he won't be there the next day.

However, yelling TO a player during a game so she can hear instruction over all the parents and kids cheering/yelling is highly encouraged as long as the player knows it is being done in her best interest and there better always be some positive comments and higth fives after the play.
Again we are talking about little girls playing a kids game !

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Emily and I were over to the local park. We were going to practice a little. There was a LL game going on 9-10 year olds. This girl at bat rips this ball over the right fielders head. The little girl runs and gets the ball. She was just this little thing, well she gets the ball and instead of throwing it, she runs it in before she throws it. Well the coach came on glued, he screams at this little girl, about not throwing it. When I mean scream, I mean a complete azz. Everybody had that look on their face. Well needless to say the little girl started to cry. The plate ump calls time, he walks out to right field gets to the little girl gets down on one knee and talks to her, pats her on the back and goes right to the coach and gives him a ear full. Both sides of fans clap. I have a feeling that coach might of coached is last game, I hope it is.

Particularly in 8U, most of the coaches in our rec league teach the kids to run the ball in because throwing and catching is pretty inconsistent at this level. Running is generally faster and more reliable than throwing, missing, and chasing the ball 2-3 times per play. At 10U, more of the girls can throw and catch, but there are still some who are learning how to do it consistently.

As KTM said, it's okay to yell to a player on the field to give instruction, but a verbal beat-down after the play is bad coaching and should not be tolerated by the parents or the league.

Props to the ump for stepping in and behaving properly.

In semi-related news...We had an ump during an 8U All-Star tournament who called my DD a "liar" about being hit on the foot during an at bat. It's a very good thing I didn't see him after the game. One of the other team parents filed a formal protest (this wasn't the only incident with this particular ump). Personal insults from an ump or coach to a player is completely unacceptable.

Particularly in 8U, most of the coaches in our rec league teach the kids to run the ball in because throwing and catching is pretty inconsistent at this level. Running is generally faster and more reliable than throwing, missing, and chasing the ball 2-3 times per play. At 10U, more of the girls can throw and catch, but there are still some who are learning how to do it consistently.

As KTM said, it's okay to yell to a player on the field to give instruction, but a verbal beat-down after the play is bad coaching and should not be tolerated by the parents or the league.

Props to the ump for stepping in and behaving properly.

In semi-related news...We had an ump during an 8U All-Star tournament who called my DD a "liar" about being hit on the foot during an at bat. It's a very good thing I didn't see him after the game. One of the other team parents filed a formal protest (this wasn't the only incident with this particular ump). Personal insults from an ump or coach to a player is completely unacceptable.

don't understand why an umpire would call someone a liar why not simply say " I did not see it and since I did not see it a can't call it" then we all go about our business as usual.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
don't understand why an umpire would call someone a liar why not simply say " I did not see it and since I did not see it a can't call it" then we all go about our business as usual.

It blew me away when I heard it, and it was loud enough for a lot of people to hear (not that saying it quietly is any better). He said the ball bounced in the dirt 6" from her foot and never came close to hitting her. I was behind the backstop running the scorebook when it happened, and had a clear view of the play. The pitch hit her toe and deflected to the backstop, and everyone else saw it the same way. Unfortunately, some of our girls (my daughter included) stand frozen on HBP, waiting for further instruction from the ump or a coach. We have since coached them to make sure everyone knows when they get hit.

Make the call - right or wrong - and keep it professional. I can swallow a bad call. Making it personal is never okay.

Unfortunately, we lost that game and were sent packing. My DD was angry and crying during most of the drive home. I can explain that we must respect the ump's call on the field, even when they make mistakes, but I had no good explanation for this scenario.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood