Makaila 14

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
She's finally getting her timing and getting the front foot down in time. Gone from weak grounders in the infield, pops to right to more consistently hitting to OF gaps and pulling. She gets triples out of hits to LF and getting closer to getting over the fence. I am proud of her because she has made huge strides this year although, we know her swing still needs work. Coaches have been trying to get her to widen her stance. Others have said to narrow it. She's confused, but whatever she's been doing, has been working. Any input on this swing?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Jeannie

The wide or narrow stance is style.

Everything I see after ball release is rushed. It’s rushed because there is no load and dancing with the pitcher. She waits until after release to stride. So she doesn’t have a problem with getting the foot down insomuch she had a problem with getting it up before release. Which can run into actually getting it down early enough.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
Jeannie

The wide or narrow stance is style.

Everything I see after ball release is rushed. It’s rushed because there is load and dancing with the pitcher. She waits until after release to stride. So she doesn’t have problem with getting the foot down insomuch she had a problem with getting it up before release. Which can run into actually getting it down early enough.
Thanks much! This is exactly the kind of feedback we need. I appreciate it.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There was a guy Jim Dixon who spent a lot of time studying the swing, although he had no practical application.

He said it takes a elite hitter more time to prepare the swing. Your daughter could benefit, from starting early and waiting on the pitch.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She has that standup relaxed and fall into her posture look. It works for Mike Trout but she does looked a little rushed in that technique. Have her try to slow her stride/glide/ float down as slow as possible. Exaggerate. When throwing front toss to her have the que, "when I move ,you move." So she has to start her stride/coil when you swing the ball away. The drill below may help also. She probably is never going to be a smooth swinger (she is quick twitch and that is a gift) but maybe she can smooth out a little by exaggerating at practice. A game time que can be to start stride/coil when pitcher reaches 12:00 with her pitching arm. And remember the number one rule in hitting instruction. Never turn a .400 hitter into a .200 hitter.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She has that standup relaxed and fall into her posture look. It works for Mike Trout but she does looked a little rushed in that technique. Have her try to slow her stride/glide/ float down as slow as possible. Exaggerate. When throwing front toss to her have the que, "when I move ,you move." So she has to start her stride/coil when you swing the ball away. The drill below may help also. She probably is never going to be a smooth swinger (she is quick twitch and that is a gift) but maybe she can smooth out a little by exaggerating at practice. A game time que can be to start stride/coil when pitcher reaches 12:00 with her pitching arm. And remember the number one rule in hitting instruction. Never turn a .400 hitter into a .200 hitter.

Aug 20, 2017

Learning how to get the front foot up on time takes patience and commitment. Start doing it dry. I like using the rear leg to control the forward move. Work on coiling inward as she strides. Make sure posture is good and maintained. Exaggerating the slowness of the forward move will help the feel of being in control of it. Dry, then tees, then front toss using what Rolling said above. I’d focus only on getting the front foot up while the pitcher has the ball. Not going backwards. The front foot up loads what needs to be loaded. Foot up, coil, float forward, maintain posture.

I’d also get the rear elbow up a little more. Will help with stretch and slack removal during the forward move.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
2021-0706-open.gif

The good news is.. the stance is great. NEVER widen your stance, unless you want a mediocre swing.

The bad news is, with this stride, her swing is dead at toe touch.

Notice:
1) Her hips open as she goes forward. You must close as you go forward
2) Her rear forearm is more vertical (vs flat) at toe touch. I like where the hands are (near the armpit).

She has lost almost all the leverage that her body could provide. At this point she must use her arms to power the swing.

Do dry strides (no ball/tee), and coil hips AND shoulders inward 45 degrees until toe touch. Pull the back elbow back hard, like pulling a bow. Land softly on a very bent front knee. A mirror helps. (The tape/ball tricks for the front foot don't work)

The coaches want you to widen the stance because she opens her hips ('steps in the bucket'), and they want more contact to win this week, but this is destructive for her personal hitting development over the medium/long term.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Widen out seems to be the cure all for travel coaches that don’t know hitting. I’ve coached a few players that had their hitting coaches tell them to widen out to keep from stepping out. So instead of addressing the mechanical flaw they just want to put a band aid on it. SMH

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812