Major Upset - Japan Takes Gold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Ken

The same could be true about nearly every structure built for Olympics. The idea is that if they are built, the country will use it to promote those sports from then on. Greece is perhaps the worst case and disproves my point because I understand that softball stadium they built is now a parking lot. However, I don't know how much effort the Greeks put into building softball after the games. But there is more to softball than Olympics, there are Pan Am games, Euro championships, Asian games, etc. that those fields can be used for, in addition to the "homefield" of that country's national team(s).

I agree with Hillhouse, the stadiums should be used most importantly to develop the host countries teams for the future as well as hosting additional tournaments. It's just sad that new sports are being brought in while softball is being tossed out.

Aug 21, 2008
If I'm not mistaken, there are other sports which have been eliminated too. Moreover, everyone who plays ANY sport thinks their game should be in the Olympics. I'll bet Pakistan, India, England, Australia, West Indies, Sri Lanka, South Africa, etc. all wish cricket was in the Olympics and probably could make a strong case for it's inclusion. Everyone wants their sport in. And you may feel the same way about Cricket as someone in Indonesia does about Softball... neither of you could care about the other's sport but neither can understand why theirs isn't in the Olympics. In an era where economics are tight and Olympics want to cut sports, # of participants and expenses... they simply cannot put every sport in the games. Personally I will be surprised if softball is not readmitted.

Totally agree with your point that all sports cannot be in the olympics. I just don't agree with removing a sport that is already in. Lets hope that softball is readmitted asap. I would love to see the men's in as well. I don't get to see men's fastpitch like that anymore. Bill have you played against Shawn Kelly yet from Michigan? I have faced this kid from day 1 since he began pitching and he is looking pretty good. Definately one of the best pitchers in Michigan. I am not always successful against Shawn but love seeing guys like him again.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Some stadium designs lend themselves to multiple (or other) uses better than others. A baseball or softball stadium, if done right, tends to be more limited. It would be nice if it continued to be use to further the sport it was built for, but if the interest isn't there to play softball at a high level (as Bill points out in Greece) it will wind up something else -- such as a parking lot. I'm not recommending it or saying it's right. Just seems to be the way it is.

I think the ISF's effort to spread softball throughout the world is a good one. The more countries that get into it the better. Equipment is always a challenge. Softball doesn't require as much equipment as hockey, or the challenge of making ice. But it's more equipment-intensive than a lot of sports, which is always a concern in countries with a low income per capita.

Aug 21, 2008
Ken

I think Greece is the exception, not the rule to this. In all European softball events since the 2004 Olympics, Greece has not fielded a team. This shows they have zero interest in softball as a whole. Even war torn countries in eastern Europe have sent teams. Even Israel sends teams! But not Greece, who has/had the best field on the continent.

Aug 21, 2008
Darrick

I've notr met Sean Kelly but I have heard of him and think I've seen him once a few years ago. I've heard he's a pretty nice guy.

Bill

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Ken

I think Greece is the exception, not the rule to this. In all European softball events since the 2004 Olympics, Greece has not fielded a team.

If memory serves me correctly, the fair amount of the Greek team were "decendents", not necessarily citizens of the country they represented. Other than the fact the host team basically gets a free pass, I don't know why Greece even attempted to field a team.

And if the venue was too much, they just shouldn't have built it and told the IOC there would be no venue for softball, just as the US did with the bobsled events in the 1960 Winter Olympics at Squaw Valley. :D After all, who would dare challenge the founding nation of the Olympic Games, Ancient or Modern?

Aug 21, 2008
MTR

With all due respect you've missed the point about using facilities like this to PROMOTE the sport before, during and after Olympics. I'm sure Greece would've LOVED to have not built the stadium but they bid on the games KNOWING softball was included.

Almost all foreign countries advertise the need for players who can get passports. Italy, Netherlands, etc. all do it annually for their competitions. Not quite to the extent Greece did for Olympics but... .still it's nothing new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802