Maddie - The HS journey begins...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Last Saturday's expected games got rained out and moved to yesterday. Finally, Maddie got to have her HS debut.

Maddie played every inning of both pool-play games behind the plate, and turned in a very solid performance - 1 runner caught stealing, 4 outs on pop-ups, and a very nice play on a bunt. She made 5 of her team's first 9 outs on defense. With her bat, she went 2-for-2, 2 BB, 2 SB (including stealing home). She was also given the job of calling pitches.

Unfortunately, her team lost both games pretty badly.

My observations...The difference between the TB girls and the ones without TB experience is pretty vivid. Plays that are routine in TB, aren't with this team. I like the HC. He's a good guy, with a genuine love for the game, and a positive attitude, but there were a few things that left me scratching my head. That said, he's still figuring out what he has to work with and how they handle themselves in games, so I'm going to cut him some slack and remind myself that there was almost no team at all this season.

While talking about things after the game, I advised Maddie to make sure she keeps playing her game at the highest level she can, and bring her teammates up, rather than bringing her game down. In response, she had a valid point that there are some plays that are automatic with her TB team that the HS girls don't have the quickness and throwing speed to pull off, so she's going to have to make an adjustment in her approach in some situations (runners at 1B and 3B, for example). One thing that became very clear during our conversation was her level of understanding of the complexities of the game. I may have underestimated her a little bit in that area.

Although it would have been nice to see her team have better results in their first games, I couldn't be prouder of Maddie.

4pgH0Au.png

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
She’s off to a great start! Congratulations! I’m sure it’s tough playing with girls with no travel experience. Sounds like the team could benefit from working on picks and throw downs. I don’t have to tell you how important it is to steal an out or two a game.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
My girl has the same HS experience - although in a different sport: Volleyball. (their HS Softball team is excellent...)
The key is to find opportunity within the season to push yourself to work on things she might be reluctant to try during a travel season where competition heats-up.
And, of course, to find a way to enjoy playing the sport she loves with the girls shes grown-up with. There is certainly value in that.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My girl has the same HS experience - although in a different sport: Volleyball. (their HS Softball team is excellent...)
The key is to find opportunity within the season to push yourself to work on things she might be reluctant to try during a travel season where competition heats-up.
And, of course, to find a way to enjoy playing the sport she loves with the girls shes grown-up with. There is certainly value in that.

We have talked about staying focused on her own development. She going to be facing a few pitchers that are way more challenging than anything she has faced before. These will be tests she can learn from.

Maddie hasn't actually played with any of her HS teammates before. The ones she has played with are on JV. She's making new friends, which is a very good thing for her. I also see her team and school spirit growing, which is also a good thing.

Feb 7, 2014
As a parent in your shoes last year (Freshman starting catcher on Varsity with a team that has room for growth I'll say) it is an adjustment, but soak in every second.

And this is good - real good ...
She was also given the job of calling pitches.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not a terrible start for Maddie's team...2-3 in their first tournament. Their most recent game was a win against a team that they had lost to in their very first game. Hitting and defense both seem to be getting better every game. HC has commented to me that many of the girls are stepping up their game in response to what Maddie is bringing to the field. Additionally, the #1 P loves her, and is very happy to have Maddie behind the plate. I don't think it's going to be a winning season, but it's looking like they will be more competitive than recent years.

For Maddie, so far, she's batting #3 in the lineup every game. Hitting...6-for-8, 2 BB, 0 K, 2 SB. In 4 SB attempts by the other teams, she's erased 2.

On Monday, after her game, she went straight to her weekly strength session...still in her uniform.

I'm pretty damn proud of this kid.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's been a while since I updated this, so here we go...

We are down to the last couple of game of the HS season, and it's been a pretty rough journey. The wide range of skill/talent level, and having only a few TB players, has lead to some challenges in putting together a consistent and effective defense. Likewise, hitting abilities range from good to terrible. All that said, the team isn't the worst in the league. There are two teams that are a big step down from ours, including one where their only pitcher is consistently in the low-30s. One the flip side, the top teams are stacked deep with very good travel players, including some that are committed to D1 schools. Those teams easily curb-stomp us (worst loss was 26-0). There is a middle team that we think we can beat if we play a good game. The previous meeting was an 8-4 loss with all 8 of their runs being unearned. We play them on Tuesday.

One of the things that has really stunned me is the seething negativity that constantly pours out of a few parents. They rip the coach, the players, and a couple of other parents. They are also the parents of some of the better players on the team. There's also a guy that constantly criticizes his DD, even when she does a good job, He's also the one coaching the whole team from outside the fence all game long. This is - by far - the most negative group of parents I've been around.

The coach is new to HS ball, and has had all his previous experience in rec ball. He leaves a lot to be desired in some areas, but he has a good heart, gives it his absolute best effort, and is open to learning. As many things as I would do differently, I keep my mouth shut about it. He was willing to take on the task, and I wasn't. Without him, there wouldn't be a team. The school was very late in hiring him, and he has no AC. From time to time, the HC and I have had lengthy phone conversations about players, lineups, and game strategies. I appreciate that he confides in me, and I think I've been able to help him in a couple of areas. Next year, I expect him to be a little better, especially if he can get someone to help him on the field.

Some good things...Maddie loves her teammates, likes the HC, and is liked and respected by all of them. She has gotten a very large majority of the innings behind the plate, and has been the #3 or #4 batter in every game. She leads the team in nearly every offensive category (AVG .436, OBP .542, SLG .769, 2 HR, 15 RBI), is one of the top 3 freshmen players in the league, and top-20 overall. She also was the first player on her team to hit an OTF bomb.

The team is on pace to equal the most number of league-game wins that they've had in the last 10 years (maybe longer). Next year, if all of the top players return, we expect an improvement in a couple of areas with some of the incoming freshmen, including a very-talented SS/CF with fantastic speed and a good bat. She will be a difference-maker in an area that has been a weakness - mid IF.

Most importantly, Maddie is having fun, learning more about the game, and making new friends. However, she really misses having a full team of players around her that play at her level, and is excited for the re-start of her travel team next weekend.

Maddie's HR...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28