Maddie (15yo) - Tune Up Session

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How far does her right foot travel to replant? Hard to tell without a plate in front. What is the ideal distance for the right foot to replant? I know it is pitch dependent but let assume FB strike outer half of the plate.

I favor getting the right foot on the ground as quickly as possible, basically straight under the body.. Janelle teaches a bit of a forward step. This is more representative of Maddie in a game situation...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Any video of strong catchers I'm a big fan off. Great for her to get back to it after shoulder injury. I actually like the personalization that catchers put into their receiving stance. The low and left leg/knee down is a very good aesthetic to me. From watching videos over the years that is her nobody on stance, right? Regarding blocking, usually when they tip forward the knees are replacing the feet too far back and the postion is generally not stable. The secondary problem with tipping forward is that if the chest is still moving downwards and forwards at contact with the ball, it is harder to control the bounce. This is something that I'm working with my daughter too, really have the chest still during the block.

love it

I agree with the body not moving forward while blocking.

Also forgot to add, it looks like her preference is transition the ball from glove to hand at a level slightly below the throwing shoulder. I tend to think the transfer at the shoulder or a *touch* higher is slightly quicker but honestly when you get to a certain pop time it's more about the accuracy of the throw than it is the speed of the release.

Maddie's transfer is basically in front of her chest, which I'm generally okay with. In most cases, it's a pretty direct path from catch to throwing position, with the transfer being long that path, except when the pitch is up. She could improve in this area.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric - I haven't been able to watch the video yet, but has she experimented with any one knee setups? With pitcher's accuracy hopefully fairly advanced at this point (thus less need for extreme side-to-side blocking moves), she may find the one knee style more comfortable in general, and maybe even a little quicker for blocking.

She hasn't, and I haven't brought them to her attention. Based on what I saw from the pitcher-catcher session this week with her new (lower level) TB team, lateral mobility is still going to be important. ;)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I favor getting the right foot on the ground as quickly as possible, basically straight under the body.. Janelle teaches a bit of a forward step. This is more representative of Maddie in a game situation...

That look a lot better. Never like crow-hopping catchers LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802