MacGrandle leaves Oregon

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Simply being from California doesn’t mean a player is a stud. For several years North Dakota had a roster full of California kids that was still void of talent. UND softball isn’t, or wasn’t, fully funded so they weren’t all there for the scholarships.

It could have been anything that lured them to Grand Forks. It’s a nice sized city that’s home to an Air Force base yet it still has that small town feel. They have a great nursing program and one of the top aviation programs in the country. If a kid is a hockey fan, there’s no place better to be than “the Ralph” to watch a game. Many kids just want to get away and who knows what they might find appealing about a campus. I’m sure some are there solely for the softball, but it certainly isn’t all of them.

Never said that being from California automatically made a player a stud.
Only that California has raised, and trained these girls and they should stay in California to play out their college careers. If other states want to compete with the California schools, they should do it without California players or coaches

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Hey man, I get you So Cal is great. I grew up in Chula Vista. Other than the weather my home state is not a great place. Over populated, high taxes, horrible politics, etc. I get that 20 years ago California was a hotbed for softball. The great year round weather kind of helped that out. Once softball started to become more mainstream the rest of the country has started to catch up. The southeast is now a hot bed for softball and states like Georgia, Florida and Texas have caught up. The Midwest and east coast have started to produce some good players too. States like Oklahoma and Iowa are not far behind. In my opinion the premier softball conference has been the SEC over the last 10 years. I looked at all 13 rosters in the SEC. The players of non California states was 293 to 46 Cali girls. Georgia, Florida and Alabama are hotbeds for great players. But you also have to realize that a lot of this is due to colleges recruiting in their geographical areas and the recruiting ties they have with area travel teams. Arkansas led with 10 Cali players but most had 5 or less on rosters of 20+ players. Alabama and Kentucky have 0 Cali players. The Pac 12 is dominated by Cali players and hasn't showed up since 2011.
The fact that Cali produces a lot of players could also be translated to the population of the state. Overall Softball has taken off and there are good players from all over. There appears to be a lot of players from Cali on rosters all over but when you're the most populated state with great weather that's to be expected. The PAC 12 hasn't shown up in the WCS in the last 8 years and will be challenged going forward with players dominating college softball from states other than California

I was banned for a week for making a post with just a twinge of politics in it. (In the thread about the celebrities paying people to make their kids look like athletes when they weren't I posted a pic of a certain senator from Massachusetts who claimed to be native American to get in to college). Good to see double standards at play.

There are no schools in the SEC that are in California so 46 players on SEC rosters is 46 too many.
Also, until recently, the coaches at florida, allbarn, mississippi.... were also from California.. as is the coach at oklahoma and a few other schools/states on your list.
That's fine that you think so little of California and the people from here, but it's lame to bash a state on one hand and then recruit coaches and players from it on the other.
Half the teams in the World Series last year (4) were from the Pac 9, half the teams in the semis were from the Pac 9
The Pac 9 sent 44% of the teams in the conference to the world series, that's not showing up? What other conference sent even 40% of its members to the WCWS? Try NONE
Haven't watched alabama this year, their no 1 pitcher last year was from California. They had just about 6 girls on the roster from alabama. Shouldn't the majority of players at the university of alabama be from alabama? Their coach isnt from alabama either.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
California has raised, and trained these girls and they should stay in California to play out their college careers.

You believe CA-grown softball players should be limited to playing college ball only for a CA school. In that case, a CA-grown player would be prevented from playing for an out-of-state school, even if that is their preference.

Okay, let's play this game. I have questions...

What happens when all of the CA school softball rosters are full of CA-grown players, and there are still more CA-grown players, with legit college-level skills, who want to play college ball? Do they have to just abandon the dream they've been working for?

What if you were born in MN, but grew up playing softball in TX? What if you played some in TX, some in IN, and some in FL? Which state would you be required to play college ball for?

What if your home state school won't offer enough financial assistance to make it a realistic possibility, but an out-of-state school will? Does the player have to give up on their dream of playing college ball?

Robert's DD was born in, and grew up playing softball in ID. Despite not being a hot-spot of top-level softball talent, she developed exceptional skills, and is capable of being a significant player on any of the top college teams in the country. By your rules, she is limited to only play for an ID school, and will never fully realize the potential of her talent and hard work. Do you think this is justified?

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
You believe CA-grown softball players should be limited to playing college ball only for a CA school. In that case, a CA-grown player would be prevented from playing for an out-of-state school, even if that is their preference.

Okay, let's play this game. I have questions...

What happens when all of the CA school softball rosters are full of CA-grown players, and there are still more CA-grown players, with legit college-level skills, who want to play college ball? Do they have to just abandon the dream they've been working for?

What if you were born in MN, but grew up playing softball in TX? What if you played some in TX, some in IN, and some in FL? Which state would you be required to play college ball for?

What if your home state school won't offer enough financial assistance to make it a realistic possibility, but an out-of-state school will? Does the player have to give up on their dream of playing college ball?

Robert's DD was born in, and grew up playing softball in ID. Despite not being a hot-spot of top-level softball talent, she developed exceptional skills, and is capable of being a significant player on any of the top college teams in the country. By your rules, she is limited to only play for an ID school, and will never fully realize the potential of her talent and hard work. Do you think this is justified?
If an out of state student pays 3 or 4 times as much as an in state student to go to the school, then an out of state student athlete should count as 3 or 4 scholarships against the teams scholarship allotment

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Why would he do that?
Because California is home
Florida hired him to bring California softball and California softball players to Florida (Same reason all of the other schools hired Californians to their staffs). If Florida is so great at softball now, send all of the California coaches and players home to California schools

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Florida hired him to bring California softball and California softball players to Florida (Same reason all of the other schools hired Californians to their staffs). If Florida is so great at softball now, send all of the California coaches and players home to California schools

There is another possibility. He may be happy in Florida...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If an out of state student pays 3 or 4 times as much as an in state student to go to the school, then an out of state student athlete should count as 3 or 4 scholarships against the teams scholarship allotment

What about answering some of my questions?

Apr 20, 2015
Your premise is ridiculous. I grew up in Missouri and am an alumna of a Missouri school. My kid was born in Indiana. Her team is based in IL but has members from Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and west Virginia...where does she have the right to play in your ludicrous opinion

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2015
USA
No, Florida hired him because he's a good coach. He led a Wichita State team to a 3 year record of 123-64 and an NCAA regional appearance. Also his college softball coaching career started at Oklahoma, his alma mater.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K