MacGrandle leaves Oregon

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Exactly, if a kid who grew up in niketown doesnt want to wear green and yellow with a big ZERO on her chest and helmet, why would girls who grew up elsewhere want to?

For the same reason my kid doesn't want to stay in So Cal...Because they want to experience another part of the world. It turns out a lot of young adults feel the same way at that point in their life.

You said the solution to the problem of players leaving was recruiting local players. Lauren Burke is an example of why that's not a valid solution. The pool for college recruiting is the whole country...and beyond.

Despite the current struggles with the team, you can bet there are more players - from all over the country - who want to play for the Ducks next year than there are spots available.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My kid is growing up in So Cal. She has a stronger desire to be a Duck than a Bruin, even with the Bruins being the current #1 team.

Lauren Burke not only grew up in Oregon, but in Eugene. Even that wasn't enough to keep her at UO when Coach White left.

Your continued assumption - no, insistence - that everyone wants to stay home is simply wrong. There some that want to be close to home. There are some that don't. Deal with it.

There are as many opinions on this topic as there are people...

We have a college less than 20 minutes from our local high school. Many of the students refer to it as 13th grade because of the number of local students that choose to go there. I understand their reasons and many of them make perfect sense. (By the way, it is a good school. I actually received my Masters from there).

DD had no interest at all in attending that college. She did not want to go to 13th grade... Her choices ultimately came down to two schools. One approximately 90 miles away and one approximately 900 miles away. Ultimately she chose the closer one because they have a DPT program and she has the opportunity to play softball.

A friend of DDs made it known when she was a sophomore in high school that she wanted to get out of the area and go to college near a large city. She is currently attending a school outside of Boston, nearly 400 miles from her home.

There are many different factors that weigh into the process; academics, athletics, cost, location, diversity, etc. Choices are great to have.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
You said the solution to the problem of players leaving was recruiting local players. Lauren Burke is an example of why that's not a valid solution. The pool for college recruiting is the whole country...and beyond.

If UCLA fails to win the title this year and fire the coach, then bring in a coach from somewhere else..... do 10 players transfer out of UCLA, yes or no?

Burke may be an example of local having more loyalty to the school not necessarily keeping them at the school but the chances are, that local kids, who grew up as fans of a school are going to be more loyal to that school regardless of who is coaching it. For all I know Burke was a fan of oregons old coach and not a fan of the school.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
There are many different factors that weigh into the process; academics, athletics, cost, location, diversity, etc. Choices are great to have.

Can't be academics, oregons academics are awful, there's a dozen schools in California that have better academics
The ducks logo is a giant Zero because they haven't won any national titles in football, baseball, softball, basketball....
As an out of state student the cost of going to oregon would be higher than going to school in their own states, scholarships may offset some of that though
The location doesn't lend itsself to softball, it rains a ton, is cold and it's miserable, why would anyone of sound mind want to leave a location that is good for what your interest is for one that's bad for it? Don't see many surfers leaving Hawaii to live in Nebraska
Diversity is a joke, just catch phrase that nobody actually looks for.

Jul 5, 2016
The University of Michigan has fielded some great teams over the years - not exactly softball weather in Michigan for a good part of the year.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can't be academics, oregons academics are awful, there's a dozen schools in California that have better academics
The ducks logo is a giant Zero because they haven't won any national titles in football, baseball, softball, basketball....
As an out of state student the cost of going to oregon would be higher than going to school in their own states, scholarships may offset some of that though
The location doesn't lend itsself to softball, it rains a ton, is cold and it's miserable, why would anyone of sound mind want to leave a location that is good for what your interest is for one that's bad for it? Don't see many surfers leaving Hawaii to live in Nebraska
Diversity is a joke, just catch phrase that nobody actually looks for.

So I'm curious. If there is no logical reason for students to consider an "out of state" school, why do so many student athletes make that choice?

Out of curiosity I randomly picked a school that I honestly know nothing about. The University of North Dakota. Could be a great school. I have no idea. I checked their softball roster. There are 10 girls listed from California. I wonder what interested them about ND? What I did not see was a single player from North Dakota.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
So I'm curious. If there is no logical reason for students to consider an "out of state" school, why do so many student athletes make that choice?

Out of curiosity I randomly picked a school that I honestly know nothing about. The University of North Dakota. Could be a great school. I have no idea. I checked their softball roster. There are 10 girls listed from California. I wonder what interested them about ND? What I did not see was a single player from North Dakota.

Interesting you picked that school. I have a friend whose DD goes to North Dakota. She was born and raised in sunny So Cal. She had her pick of schools across the country, including some close to home. She chose ND for reasons that were specific to her. She's very happy with her choice.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The location doesn't lend itsself to softball, it rains a ton, is cold and it's miserable, why would anyone of sound mind want to leave a location that is good for what your interest is for one that's bad for it? Don't see many surfers leaving Hawaii to live in Nebraska.

Your arguments are weak, JG. Students go to out-of-state schools all the time.

How much time have you spent in Oregon? During the softball season, it actually doesn't rain very much. With the exception of this year, which has been exceptionally rainy for everyone on the west coast, the Ducks get very few games cancelled by weather. Lots of schools are in areas where the local climate isn't softball-friendly for part of the year, yet, they still have softball.

If a surfer wants to surf they go to where the surf is. If a softball player wants to play softball, they go to where the softball is.

Your homer prejudice is strong. Not everyone feels that way.

Last edited:

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019

The California girls at North Dakota went there because the school had a team and a local pool void of talent.
Those girls decided that a scholarship to play out of state is better than paying to hope to walk on instate.
It's the same all across the country, coaches and players from California fill the rosters and staffs everywhere. Meanwhile, schools in California get away with not fielding programs, they say it's because of lack of interest or not enough interest. If all of the California coaches and players stayed in California, those schools would have the interest and ability to immediately field contending teams.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The California girls at North Dakota went there because the school had a team and a local pool void of talent.
Those girls decided that a scholarship to play out of state is better than paying to hope to walk on instate.
It's the same all across the country, coaches and players from California fill the rosters and staffs everywhere. Meanwhile, schools in California get away with not fielding programs, they say it's because of lack of interest or not enough interest. If all of the California coaches and players stayed in California, those schools would have the interest and ability to immediately field contending teams.

While there are certainly plenty of cases where a scholarship will draw a player to a school that might not been one of their primary targets, for many of them, that's pretty much the goal - get softball to pay for college. There are also plenty cases where kids pick out-of-state schools because of a specific academic program...and they also play softball for that school.

As for North Dakota...My friend's DD at ND isn't a college athlete. She chose ND for reasons unrelated to being offered a spot on a team or an athletic scholarship. Only 1 of her 2 sisters stayed in So Cal for college, as well.

Sure IF all the So Cal girls stayed local, they would have top-level teams very year. However, life doesn't work that way. The reality you seem unable to accept is that some people - quite a lot, actually - have a preference to go to college besides where they grew up. It's a fact. Deal with it. Besides, there aren't enough roster spots available in So Cal for all the talented players in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28