Lowe HR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
As far as tilt is concerned, imo this is a byproduct of proper hand/bat path.
Lateral tilt is merely the shoulders ‘snapping’ out of the way to make space for the hands to release the barrel through the ball on a straight line. The shoulders main role in the sequence is to load the upper body and maintain that load until needed. Jmo.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Lateral tilt is merely the shoulders ‘snapping’ out of the way to make space for the hands to release the barrel through the ball on a straight line. The shoulders main role in the sequence is to load the upper body and maintain that load until needed. Jmo.

I don't see very much of a straight line.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
giphy.gif

Once the hands come forward. I see a straight line until contact. A to B. Then his hands turn to his right.

Either way. Kid has got a pretty swing.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree that tilt should be a byproduct of teaching a good barrel path. Not a fan of a forced tilt.

The only way to get a barrel path which is behind the ball like this:
vwTXI3x.gif

is to launch from a power position using the hands properly with a goal of the swing occurring on the catcher's side of the body (e.g. getting the barrel behind the ball as early as possible). Tilt will occur as a byproduct.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I agree that tilt should be a byproduct of teaching a good barrel path. Not a fan of a forced tilt.

The only way to get a barrel path which is behind the ball like this:
vwTXI3x.gif

is to launch from a power position using the hands properly with a goal of the swing occurring on the catcher's side of the body (e.g. getting the barrel behind the ball as early as possible). Tilt will occur as a byproduct.

I almost totally agree with all of this! Yes! Headway? Hope so.

Power position is the Hitting position? If so where is this power generated from? Also where would the weight be during this power position?

Do you think a swing from the catchers side of the body on every pitch location is ideal?

Jun 8, 2016
I almost totally agree with all of this! Yes! Headway? Hope so.

Power position is the Hitting position? If so where is this power generated from? Also where would the weight be during this power position?

Do you think a swing from the catchers side of the body on every pitch location is ideal?
I mean I left out a lot so yeah you need to use the core, be balanced, etc. Power position is just another term for a good position to launch from e.g. not letting the hands drift too forward of the shoulder or too far back. I think one of the old "gurus" used this terminology. In terms of where the swing takes place and pitch location I would say yes the goal should be the same. There are some pre-launch body movements which will allow this goal to work for different pitch locations:

bGbJEFg.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I mean I left out a lot so yeah you need to use the core, be balanced, etc. Power position is just another term for a good position to launch from e.g. not letting the hands drift too forward of the shoulder or too far back. I think one of the old "gurus" used this terminology. In terms of where the swing takes place and pitch location I would say yes the goal should be the same. There are some pre-launch body movements which will allow this goal to work for different pitch locations:

bGbJEFg.gif

All right then! I think the hands move a bit more forward on swings when adjustments are made on inside pitches. But the hands do start behind the shoulder. Just different relative to the hitters body sometimes.

I think we differ when it comes to when launch is. Or maybe what launch is. No biggie.

Swing Launch for me is the second turn or the hands coming forward after elbow slots. Barrel launch is down the line a bit. Jmo. Im not sure what your definition is.

In all honesty, get the stuff before launch right is ‘what matters the most’ imo. See what I did there? 😏

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
All right then! I think the hands move a bit more forward on swings when adjustments are made on inside pitches. But the hands do start behind the shoulder. Just different relative to the hitters body sometimes.

I think we differ when it comes to when launch is. Or maybe what launch is. No biggie.

Swing Launch for me is the second turn or the hands coming forward after elbow slots. Barrel launch is down the line a bit. Jmo. Im not sure what your definition is.

In all honesty, get the stuff before launch right is ‘what matters the most’ imo. See what I did there? 😏

Yes the hands do move forward on inside pitches, they break the circular hands path and move forward a little.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Once the hands come forward. I see a straight line until contact. A to B. Then his hands turn to his right.

Either way. Kid has got a pretty swing.

His hands move toward the plate coming from hiding the hands. It's not a straight line. Mankin talked about the hands first moving toward the plate and not forward first.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
His hands move toward the plate coming from hiding the hands. It's not a straight line. Mankin talked about the hands first moving toward the plate and not forward first.

His hands move towards the plate because that’s where the pitch is. Outside. Straight line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23