Lots of shoulder discomfort after last practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2015
My daughter is a 2021. She is a pitcher who has multiple offers from colleges.

On defense, she is pretty much a pitcher only but can play some outfield. The coach decided she has to play some first base this summer. She says no - she is not good at it and does not want to do it. He insists and then has her doing diving drills for grounders. And now she can't lift her throwing shoulder without discomfort. She says even turning the wheel while driving hurts.

The diving happened Sunday. This evening (Monday) I asked lots of questions on the discomfort and what she can and can't do. Pretty much any lifting of the arm hurts. She has lifted weights for years and knows what soreness is. This is not soreness. No more weight lifting or softball practices until we see a doctor who specializes in shoulders. I am pretty much beside myself We are so careful with her shoulder. We do all the right things.

Her old teammate, who was a pitcher, messed up her labrum diving back to a base and just had surgery. Of course that is where my first thought goes for my daughter but also rotator cuff I sure hope I am wrong. We have a PT friend who gave us the name of the best shoulder doctor she knows. Let's hope we can get in soon.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019
Poor coaching.

At her age and level, it’s not the time to be throwing girls into unfamiliar positions against their will.

Hopefully it’s nothing major and she doesn’t miss a beat.

Jul 27, 2015
My daughter is a 2021. She is a pitcher who has multiple offers from colleges.

On defense, she is pretty much a pitcher only but can play some outfield. The coach decided she has to play some first base this summer. She says no - she is not good at it and does not want to do it. He insists and then has her doing diving drills for grounders. And now she can't lift her throwing shoulder without discomfort. She says even turning the wheel while driving hurts.

The diving happened Sunday. This evening (Monday) I asked lots of questions on the discomfort and what she can and can't do. Pretty much any lifting of the arm hurts. She has lifted weights for years and knows what soreness is. This is not soreness. No more weight lifting or softball practices until we see a doctor who specializes in shoulders. I am pretty much beside myself We are so careful with her shoulder. We do all the right things.

Her old teammate, who was a pitcher, messed up her labrum diving back to a base and just had surgery. Of course that is where my first thought goes for my daughter but also rotator cuff I sure hope I am wrong. We have a PT friend who gave us the name of the best shoulder doctor she knows. Let's hope we can get in soon.

After sleeping on it, I would like step back from my earlier post. I actually have no idea if the diving caused the problem. I figured out there were other factors that could have been involved. So sorry for the blame shifting. I am far more concerned that her pitching time is over.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
After sleeping on it, I would like step back from my earlier post. I actually have no idea if the diving caused the problem. I figured out there were other factors that could have been involved. So sorry for the blame shifting. I am far more concerned that her pitching time is over.
Diving is an art form and it varies by sport. This (1st of 3) is the best I have found so the kids can look like the ones on tv :cool:

Diving Video 1 - https://youtu.be/mHfwBLakT7M

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom