Loose vs Tight Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Kids need to develop their own style for this reason. While you can do all sorts of movement evaluations, they know their own bodies best, in particular after they get to an age where they have some body awareness. Instructors need to work with a kid's style to improve their mechanics.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Every batting coach should watch this video and the world would be a better place. Josh Donaldson and Albert P are both great hitters. How can that be? Quit trying to put hitters into a cookie cutter approach. Is there a tight hitter that needs to loosen up? probably. And is there a loose hitter that needs tighten up? Maybe. Old school hitting coaches please take note.

Oct 2, 2017
Every batting coach should watch this video and the world would be a better place. Josh Donaldson and Albert P are both great hitters. How can that be? Quit trying to put hitters into a cookie cutter approach. Is there a tight hitter that needs to loosen up? probably. And is there a loose hitter that needs tighten up? Maybe. Old school hitting coaches please take note.

I would also say, that its not JUST tightening or loosening up, but using what the player already has available naturally (Tight, Loose etc.) to their advantage. Granted I'm only looking at it from the younger player perspective like my 9yr old DD. Hardly any kids her age have any body awareness. So its difficult to make corrections. That being said, my DD so far, I would say is loose. Almost everything she does usually has lots of movement. Especially when trying to do things in a fast pace. I think that for example that's why she usually has a large stride and that she has a hard time shortening it up. She just doesn't move that way.

Sep 17, 2009
Most really young kids move like a wet noodle. I usually try to tighten up their links so they understand how their body parts work against each other and how to use the ground for leverage.

I had a young DD of a friend and she would get to a 'finish' position that would twist her legs up and would have popped both my ACLs if I got even close to trying it myself :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad