Looking for some drills to fix side arm throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
I have no idea what happened, but after a short break (about a month) my girls have come back and several have now decided that throwing sidearm is a good idea. I've gone back to some basics and done throw progressions but some just can't seem to kick the habit. I've tried the water bottle drill, but it doesn't always click with every kid.

Just looking for any ideas for drills to help get rid of the side arm weak throws.

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2018
If they are throwing side arm they are dropping the elbow. Try doing Wasserman's pivot throw. There are a few different ways. Can be done standing in pairs, can be done kneeling (glove knee is on the ground), or can be done sitting on a bucket or exercise ball. Can be done solo bouncing a tennis ball off a wall. The point is start with the ball already behind the head with the elbow high. If the elbow is up it is pretty much impossible to throw side arm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

May 23, 2015
Throw sidearm is a huge skill to learn on the field. Personally I would teach them when to use it. I mix in sidearm practice once a week. Wasserman is great for overhand

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
My daughter recently picked up this skill. It helped her get compliments from coaches and broadened her utility from the circle and 1B.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
We work on sidearm throws regularly. Imo, it's a skill that's not worked on enough in softball. It's a key component to quick throws and possible double plays for infielders. I see too many kids who will field a ball, stand straight up, square up, then make a overhand throw. Takes too much time.

Nov 30, 2018
I have no idea what happened, but after a short break (about a month) my girls have come back and several have now decided that throwing sidearm is a good idea. I've gone back to some basics and done throw progressions but some just can't seem to kick the habit. I've tried the water bottle drill, but it doesn't always click with every kid.

Just looking for any ideas for drills to help get rid of the side arm weak throws.

Thanks!

Hey There!

I agree with other comments that sidearm throwing is a huge skill that is essential in both baseball and softball. But, it's a more specialized tool in a player's toolbox, and having a good overhand throwing motion is a prerequisite in my mind. Many young kids throw sidearm as a symptom of poor movements at other points in their throwing motion.

I'd suggest the rocker drill. It teaches how to move weight from the backside to the front and how to use the glove arm, all of which helps naturally raise the arm slot.

Here's the link to the video: https://youtu.be/v7yG6s20Vo4

Also, understanding what the glove arm does is helpful in addition to the above video: https://youtu.be/fzliTZlAF98

Hope that helps! Dan