Looking for opinions on hitting nets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2009
Hi all.

I`m wanting to purchase a softball hitting net for the team. Any recommendations or preferences. I`m looking at the Jugs pop up, and have seen a few other tent like nets.

I`m also looking at one on ebay....this is the description, but I`m not real sure how practical this would be to lug around....see description below...

New 7'x7' Catch Net with Frame. The frame is designed with snap lock pin connections for easy assembly and disassembly. The frame is 1-5/8" steel with powder-coated finish for long life. The heavy-duty double net has a built-in pocket to hold the balls and is pillowcase style that simply slips over the frame

Any preferences?

Coach Joe

Jul 29, 2008
My opinions of the 3 I've owned:

Jugs
like- portability, ease of use, use on grass or in garage
dislike- you have to stand closer to the net (smaller coverage area) and often step on the bottom straps for players with long strides

Hurricane
like- large net area, straps/tie downs don't hinder hitters
dislike- has to be staked down, can't use in the garage

Easton
like- large net area, fairly easy to put up/take down, can use in garage or stake down
dislike- blows over in windy conditions unless you rig up more weight/tie downs

Nov 19, 2008
The third net above

New 7'x7' Catch Net with Frame. The frame is designed with snap lock pin connections for easy assembly and disassembly. The frame is 1-5/8" steel with powder-coated finish for long life. The heavy-duty double net has a built-in pocket to hold the balls and is pillowcase style that simply slips over the frame

This sounds like a jugs net we currently use in our HS program. It is portable and can be assembled in about 5-10 min by one person. The snap locks make it easy to take down also. Wind is not a factor, can be put in a garage. The only issue is weight, due to its steel frame, but in my opinion I think it is the best type portable net.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I have a couple of the Jugs pop-up screens and like them a lot. Easy to set up, easy to use, sort of easy to take down (there's a trick to it). They do tend to blow over easily if the wind starts to kick up above 10 mph. Great for indoors, though.

I also have the Jugs portable screen with the snap locks. Hardest part is getting the net over the frame since the netting tends to get stuck on the snaps. Easier with two people than one.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I've been using the Easton 5' pop up multi net for a couple of seasons. I find it very versatile and easy to setup/take down. In the winter it's used in the garage for pitching into from about 10 feet away and for hitting with the tee just far enough away so the bat misses the net. Instead of the attachable net I'm using duct tape in a 6" wide by 9" tall rectangle for a pitching target. When used in the field in LL a few girls would underswing and send the ball over the net, but we were in a large field and had taken the possibility into consideration.

A link:
Easton 5' Pop Up Multi Net Hitters/Pitchers | Softball.com

Gerry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802