Looking for Mississippi intel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I may be putting the cart before the horse (or the ox!) ... but do we have any members who can enlighten me on life (softball and otherwise) in Mississippi?

I know that is incredibly vague, but I’m just trying to educate myself in case some moving parts fall in place for a possible opportunity.

Aug 20, 2017
I live just outside Meridian MS near the Alabama border. Like anywhere you have good folks and idiots lol. Hunting, fishing, and college football is where many spend their time. Softball has grown immensely in this state. Travel tournaments occur throughout the state each weekend. High school softball is really competitive. What part of the state is in play?

Apr 25, 2019
I am speaking more for 12u but there are really only a couple of truly A class teams coming out of MS. Lots of B and C class though. Don't know if that helps.

May 29, 2015
I live just outside Meridian MS near the Alabama border. Like anywhere you have good folks and idiots lol. Hunting, fishing, and college football is where many spend their time. Softball has grown immensely in this state. Travel tournaments occur throughout the state each weekend. High school softball is really competitive. What part of the state is in play?

I think it could be anywhere in about a 3 hour radius from Oxford (I believe).

“North, the Delta, East Central, and Jackson area” are the generic descriptions.

Aug 20, 2017
North MS is growing fast. Plenty of good towns (Tupelo, Oxford, Olive Branch, Southhaven and more). Cost of living is cheap compared to other states. Plenty of travel ball played up north. Not a bunch of hicks like you would expect. MS gets a bad reputation but I think it’s a good place. Plenty of good people here. Good southern hospitality and some of the best places to eat. Good schools in North MS also. High school football is strong also. Jackson suburbs are solid but inner city Jackson is rough. If you have any questions I’ll try to help!

May 29, 2015
It looks like if I have called my last strikes in Illinois without knowing it at the time. I have accepted the offer to go to Mississippi, so it looks as if I am headed south after Memorial Day. I'm understanding how all the 8th graders, high school seniors, and college seniors are feeling -- I will miss my fellow Illinois umpires. It is sad knowing I worked my last games with them without knowing those would be the last time we worked together.

I will be in the Oxford area for a few months, but won't know my next destination for another week or so.

Of course, that is dependent on what is happening with stay-at-home orders. I saw that Mississippi was one of those states with a reluctant governor so now they have one of the highest per capita rates of hospitalization. If travel and relocation is not feasible, I'll work from home (in Illinois) for the first couple of months.

Apr 1, 2017
Good luck with the new journey TMIB.

It is sad knowing I worked my last games with them without knowing those would be the last time we worked together.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. There are 1000's of players, coaches, umpires that are in a similar situation. My team is a second year 14U team. It seems like 14U is the end for many B and C teams. I wonder if we will move on to 16U, especially if this summer is completely cancelled. Makes me sad to think the weird game we played in a small dome at midnight, in February, might have been the last time I coach my daughters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802