Looking for indoor timing drills (no cage)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
I have to move my team inside for practice and with a tournament in a week I'm concerned about our timing at the plate. We scrimmaged a team last weekend and our timing at the plate was terrible! Very few solid hits. I was planning on doing some machine hitting outside, but the weather has not cooperated so we were forced inside. It looks like practice tomorrow will be inside as well. Our practice spot is in a gym and we do not have access to a cage, so hitting real balls off a machine isn't an option.

Just looking for ideas on how given our situation without a cage, what are some drills you've used, seen, heard of that would be worth doing.

Thanks in advanced.

Jun 8, 2016
I have to move my team inside for practice and with a tournament in a week I'm concerned about our timing at the plate. We scrimmaged a team last weekend and our timing at the plate was terrible! Very few solid hits. I was planning on doing some machine hitting outside, but the weather has not cooperated so we were forced inside. It looks like practice tomorrow will be inside as well. Our practice spot is in a gym and we do not have access to a cage, so hitting real balls off a machine isn't an option.

Just looking for ideas on how given our situation without a cage, what are some drills you've used, seen, heard of that would be worth doing.

Thanks in advanced.
Wiffle balls or anywhere balls can be hit within confined spaces. That said any sort of front toss isn't going to be a substitute, with regards to timing, for live BP with an actual pitcher throwing to you from the actual pitching distance.

Aug 20, 2018
Wiffle balls or anywhere balls can be hit within confined spaces. That said any sort of front toss isn't going to be a substitute, with regards to timing, for live BP with an actual pitcher throwing to you from the actual pitching distance.

No i understand what would be ideal but unfortunately I have to work with what I have and try my best to prepare my girls for competition.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Anywhere balls. They exaggerate miss-hits more than wiffles. They also sting a lot less when you get smoked by a come-backer.

Aug 20, 2017
If you have a tee and a hitting screen get a pitcher or coach to go through the pitching motion behind the screen and have a player time their movements with the pitchers movements hitting off the tee into the screen. Tell them to tell you if they were early late or on time. Should be “into” stride when ball hits pitchers hip

Dec 11, 2010
Anywhere balls. They exaggerate miss-hits more than wiffles. They also sting a lot less when you get smoked by a come-backer.

You like these pretty well- man I hate throwing the TCB whiffles at 16's and above. Players really beat you up, even with those....

Sep 1, 2014

Thanks in advanced.
Personally, I hate pitching machines - I think they ruin timing more than anything.

Here is what I would do: if you have anywhere or similar foam balls I would use those. If you can use real balls in the gym I would use those .

Setup a screen with three plate locations first about 15 feet from screen. Second closer - maybe 12 feet. Third even closer about nine feet. Have your players start at 15 feet hit 5 balls then move up for 5 balls then move up again for 5 balls. The. Have them do a shift making sure they get one good hit from each location.

Make sure you give them a way to time it the pitch - show the ball and on your pull back tell them to start their load process. This will get them timing the pitch and not rushing or ruining their mechanics just to hit the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee