Looking for help. Teaching catchers to call the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
All good comment and I agree with almost all of them. But something that really don’t understand is why whoever is calling pitches gets 2 strikes on the batter they will go outside for 3 straight pitches, trying to get the batter to go fishing. Talk about predicting your pitches. Everyone know what is coming next. Not to mention you are making you pitcher throw a whole bunch more pitches than maybe needed. And those accumulate over a long weekend. May get you to your pitch count real quick.
I see a lot of coaches make pitchers throw a whole lot more pitches than needed.

Because you cannot give up a hit on an 0-2 count when you worked so hard to get there.

What you may or may not know is that pitchers are missing at different ball lengths on those next three pitches. Perhaps the pitchers you saw were missing on their misses (even I have to ask the catcher if the pitcher is missing well or not). If the pitcher is supposed to paint the black on 2-2 and misses by two ball lengths that's not on the coach.

Now obviously you don't want to play this game every time with every batter but it's a sound strategy at the A-Level. Pitch count and fatigue never come into play in my experience as the 0-2 and 1-2 counts do appear but not enough to where we are going 7 pitches deep on every batter every time.

We have two pitching rules from analytics. Don't give up a hit on 0-2 and throw a strike on 2-1. When we do those things we are pitching well most of the time.

You would be amazed on how hard it is for pitchers to miss correctly. You would also be amazed on how hard it is for pitchers to throw pitch outs. Truly bizarre.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I am not saying to try and get them to chase a off the plate pitch, but when you do it over and over, with the catcher setting up outside, that is where the want the pitch to be.
And I get at high level it is a good pitching strategy to a certain extent. But when you end up walking them after having a 0-2. That isn’t productive in any way shape of form. High Coaches are the worst about this. I umpire probably 60 or 70 High games a year, and I can tell you today what certain coaches are going to call next year already.

May 23, 2015
All good comment and I agree with almost all of them. But something that really don’t understand is why whoever is calling pitches gets 2 strikes on the batter they will go outside for 3 straight pitches, trying to get the batter to go fishing. Talk about predicting your pitches. Everyone know what is coming next. Not to mention you are making you pitcher throw a whole bunch more pitches than maybe needed. And those accumulate over a long weekend. May get you to your pitch count real quick.
I see a lot of coaches make pitchers throw a whole lot more pitches than needed.
Haha well thats because the great majority of coaches have no idea what they're doing. Its rare these days to see someone call a good game especially from the bench or sitting their butt on a bucket

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Haha well thats because the great majority of coaches have no idea what they're doing. Its rare these days to see someone call a good game especially from the bench or sitting their butt on a bucket
So true.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Maybe I missed it, but on DD's team, they throw pitches according to the situation. Generally a pitcher, with a runner on 1B, would like a ground ball to the right side. With a runner on 2B and or 3B you'd want a ground ball to the left side or better yet an a weak pop up. Think about what pitches usually get those types of results and you'd be on the right track.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee