Looking for help on new catcher gear for DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
Thanks for the response, I tried to look into Schutt but there aren't a lot of reviews out there for them. I'm actually surprised by how little there is when it comes to catchers gear, and what there is seems to be more like paid advertising for the major companies via top gear of x year lists, which is why I liked Boombah, their was at least one written review for them.
Schutt makes football helmets as well, pretty certain they are serious and knowledgeable about head protection. DD loves her white Schutt helmet, says she can feel heat difference between that and old black helmet, and it is comfortable (and this is a miracle, she complains about how pretty much everything else fits, socks, pants, belts, etc.). last fall she took a foul tip that came directly back at her, ball hit cage dead square, ball dropped right in front of her (so cage abosrbed all the energy of the ball, no deflection), got a headache, but no concussion (parent who is an athletic trainer for schools system checked her out).

Jul 22, 2020
I insisted on a light nuetral color for DDs helmet. I no longer worry about matching any teams colors (white helmet, gray .white CP, still have navy legs, but will replace with gray when needed), DD will be on her 6th team this fall. unless team buys it for her, it is nuetral colors

Thanks, I really hadn't thought about that; not sure how much movement is made in this area as there are maybe 4 close to me, and another 2 or 3 w/in 40min's. I have been worried that the teams might require matching; but I really don't know b/c most of her and my son 's time in playing have been spent w/one group and the colors are gray/blue for their travel team so it's all pretty neutral. B/c of Covid they moved to a different facility but I haven't had time to really pay attention to what the catchers are wearing.

Jun 24, 2016
I’ll second the Schutt gear. My daughter has been wearing it for a few years. She has the S3.5 CP, S4.0 guards, and the 2966 mask with the Titanium face mask. She just caught 7 games this weekend in upper 90 degree weather and stayed as cool as she could. It protects but is lightweight and breathable. I could not get her to pick a lighter color so it is all black. She is slim...5’8 and about 135 pounds. Had to modify the straps of the CP to make it snug but everything else is a great fit. She likes the wraparound piece on the S4.0’s too. Schutt reps were at a tourney we played in a few years ago and we got to try everything on. The titanium mask was noticeably lighter. She was wearing Under Armour gear at the time.

May 6, 2015
Thanks, I really hadn't thought about that; not sure how much movement is made in this area as there are maybe 4 close to me, and another 2 or 3 w/in 40min's. I have been worried that the teams might require matching; but I really don't know b/c most of her and my son 's time in playing have been spent w/one group and the colors are gray/blue for their travel team so it's all pretty neutral. B/c of Covid they moved to a different facility but I haven't had time to really pay attention to what the catchers are wearing.
It also is possible to repaint gear, helmets technically are supposed to be done by shops approved by manufacturer, but in reality it is simply making certain you choose paint that will not degrade the plastic. I have even heard of people painting CPs

Jul 22, 2020
@bmakj , @PAhusker

do either of you know about the scorpion gear for Schutt? Of the 2 sets for them, my daughter seems to prefer that; not sure we have a place that carries any of this in the area we live.

Jun 24, 2016
Quality wise I would think it’s similar, right bmakj? I just know when the reps were there we got their newest line. I don’t see much difference with the CP. The newer shin guards just have that wraparound piece that makes it easier to take on/off. I think there’s one less buckle on the S4.0?????

Jun 24, 2016
And the way the straps are located on the S4.0 I read that knee savers can’t be used? Not sure about that...my kid doesn’t use them.

May 6, 2015
@bmakj , @PAhusker

do either of you know about the scorpion gear for Schutt? Of the 2 sets for them, my daughter seems to prefer that; not sure we have a place that carries any of this in the area we live.
DD uses Schutt air max helmet, boombah CP, Rawlings leg guards, so not much help on other Schutt gear.

Jul 22, 2020
DD uses Schutt air max helmet, boombah CP, Rawlings leg guards, so not much help on other Schutt gear.

which boombah chest? right now I think if we go neutral she like the boombah womans CP. She liked the USA CP, but b/c of her size she'd have to go w/the adult and not youth, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit right.

May 6, 2015
pretty certain it was just the original defcon, we bought it before there was a standard for CPs but it has good protection, and fits her well.

for all the gear, fit is main issue, and every catcher is different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802