Looking for help on getting a girl over fear of grounders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Playing softball SS or infielder in general is not the same as baseball. The games are very much different. In baseball the SS can move back or wait and open up and field the ball on the candy hop. Softball often does not afford the fielder the time to do so. In softball the correct play usually is to move thru the ball. Especially middle IF. In both of those plays in video above (watch the replays too) the correct play was to not get flat footed first. And if they would have kept moving thru the ball they would have increased their probability of making the play. Also, as I coach my DD, when you keep moving thru the ball, even if the ball kicks off your glove and you make an error, you look good doing it. Don't underestimate the value of looking good. Don't forget to teach them the ghost transfer and throw too.
The 3rd baseman would have had plenty of time had she put on the breaks and gotten the big hop. For the SS I am in agreement with you as if she had charged harder and backhanded it she would have had a better shot.Also somebody tell Sis Bates (at 20 seconds) that she shouldn't be trying to get a good hop and that taking a step back/or putting on the breaks is always a bad idea in softball...If you listen to Antonelli, how you play a certain ball is determined not only by the hops but also by the runner..e.g. how much time do you have. That decision making process is there in both softball and baseball...

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Playing softball SS or infielder in general is not the same as baseball. The games are very much different. In baseball the SS can move back or wait and open up and field the ball on the candy hop. Softball often does not afford the fielder the time to do so. In softball the correct play usually is to move thru the ball. Especially middle IF. In both of those plays in video above (watch the replays too) the correct play was to not get flat footed first. And if they would have kept moving thru the ball they would have increased their probability of making the play. Also, as I coach my DD, when you keep moving thru the ball, even if the ball kicks off your glove and you make an error, you look good doing it. Don't underestimate the value of looking good. Don't forget to teach them the ghost transfer and throw too.
Would recommend learning to play the hop :cool:.

- Best shortstop in the country

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The 3rd baseman would have had plenty of time had she put on the breaks and gotten the big hop. For the SS I am in agreement with you as if she had charged harder and backhanded it she would have had a better shot.Also somebody tell Sis Bates (at 20 seconds) that she shouldn't be trying to get a good hop and that taking a step back/or putting on the breaks is always a bad idea in softball...If you listen to Antonelli, how you play a certain ball is determined not only by the hops but also by the runner..e.g. how much time do you have. That decision making process is there in both softball and baseball...

In softball the correct play usually is to move thru the ball.
Obviously, she knew who was running. I don't know who she was but she took forever to get out of the box. Going to show DD this video as soon as schoolwork is done. Education before softball.

Jun 8, 2016
In softball the correct play usually is to move thru the ball.
I agree with you, and that is the case in baseball as well. The biggest difference in baseball is that the SS can often take an extra step or two after they field it to make a throw. I still have to catch myself from telling my DD to not rush the throw to first on routine balls since in actuality she usually needs to..DD knows better than Dad in that circumstance.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Those two have awesome footwork. A pleasure to watch :love:

These two drills may help a bunch to gain that confidence.

- Trosky Baseball presents: Star Drill with ball

- Trosky Baseball presents: Anything Goes

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598