Looking for help on getting a girl over fear of grounders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Watch the replay. 3rd baseman is caught slightly flat footed. If she worked thru it and caught it on a little shorter hop she would make the play. That's an error.

Second play, same thing. And wear a face mask!

Oct 26, 2019
Have you had the conversation with the girl where she admitted she was afraid. I think it starts there - I believe once the kid admits they are afraid and actually says it aloud then the “getting over it” part can start to happen. Something along the lines of “I know right now you are a little afraid of the ball. I am going to help you get your confidence back, but ultimately it’s something you are going to have to determine to do and once you do - you are going to be so proud of yourself!”

Aug 2, 2019
Have you had the conversation with the girl where she admitted she was afraid. I think it starts there - I believe once the kid admits they are afraid and actually says it aloud then the “getting over it” part can start to happen. Something along the lines of “I know right now you are a little afraid of the ball. I am going to help you get your confidence back, but ultimately it’s something you are going to have to determine to do and once you do - you are going to be so proud of yourself!”
That's a really good approach. DD is mostly recovered from an incident from last year, but still holds back a little. If you smoke one at her, she jumps on it out of reflex. A firm grounder she shies away from if she has the slightest bit of time to think about it. I'm going to try this to she if she can get over the hump.

Jun 8, 2016
At 36:34 and 1:06:58 of this well-played 10U PGF game. there are two of them that should probably be better played to the side.

- 2019 PGF National Championships 10U PREMIER

IMO on 1st ball 3rd baseman would have been better served slamming on the breaks (see above video) and/or even taking a small step back and getting the big hop. Second ball was more difficult and the best play the SS could have made was to do a charging backhand play...those are decisions those kids will get better at as they get older. Footwork at 10U/12U is typically lacking..

Oct 26, 2019
That's a really good approach. DD is mostly recovered from an incident from last year, but still holds back a little. If you smoke one at her, she jumps on it out of reflex. A firm grounder she shies away from if she has the slightest bit of time to think about it. I'm going to try this to she if she can get over the hump.

I have taken this approach with young kids learning to slide for the first time, dive for a ball, or not step out when they see a hard throwing pitcher. The first step is admitting you have a problem haha! We, as coaches, can do every trick in the book, but ultimately the kid has to determine to show courage.

Courage is something I talk often about with my daughters team. I asked them to journal about a Disney character that showed courage. One of the big takeaways from the kids journaling was that without adversity there is no courage. Getting over the fear is a chance to show that. Then when they do - CELEBRATE away and make a big deal out of it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Playing softball SS or infielder in general is not the same as baseball. The games are very much different. In baseball the SS can move back or wait and open up and field the ball on the candy hop. Softball often does not afford the fielder the time to do so. In softball the correct play usually is to move thru the ball. Especially middle IF. In both of those plays in video above (watch the replays too) the correct play was to not get flat footed first. And if they would have kept moving thru the ball they would have increased their probability of making the play. Also, as I coach my DD, when you keep moving thru the ball, even if the ball kicks off your glove and you make an error, you look good doing it. Don't underestimate the value of looking good. Don't forget to teach them the ghost transfer and throw too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee