Looking for help on getting a girl over fear of grounders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
I'm the coach of a 14u team. My infielder took a nasty hop this last season that left her with a fractured collar bone this last October. Prior to the injury, she was really dependable with the glove. Now she pulls up and is scared of grounders with any speed or might bounce. Looking for some ideas to help her get over this issue.

Apr 25, 2019
I know they are primarily for pitchers but what about a EvoShield chest protector? Also, upgrade her mask. Even though it serves the same function, if you sell it as an upgrade she may trust it more.

Nov 18, 2015
Or start indoors on a gym floor where there's no bad bounces, and progress to hitting them harder than she would normally see to help re-instill her confidence.

Or have her count the hops as she's fielding to keep her mind occupied, although I don't think that will work as well for this situation, since it's a hop that did it to her in the first place.

Or, per the other thread - just teach her about the need to make every ball either a short hop or a long hop, which should eliminate a lot of those inbetween bad hops.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Does she have time for baby steps? Easy, low-speed reps progressively increasing in speed and difficulty as she passes each phase of progression? Maybe develop a plan for her to work on, which will give her confidence in the preparation, and then execution of the plan?

If that doesn't work, can she catch or play OF?

May 20, 2015
throw wrenches at her

if she can field a wrench, she can field a ball

build her back up, but don't take so much time that she doesn't field a hard hit ball for too long........rolled ground ball drills, work on hands/transfer/footwork/release.....have her focus on the basics and see success

progress into hit grounders......slowly amp it up as long as she's seeing success and showing confidence

Apr 28, 2019
I'm the coach of a 14u team. My infielder took a nasty hop this last season that left her with a fractured collar bone this last October. Prior to the injury, she was really dependable with the glove. Now she pulls up and is scared of grounders with any speed or might bounce. Looking for some ideas to help her get over this issue.
I would take her off to the side and have her stand in front of the dugout. Use softies and/or tennis balls and bounce balls to her in rapid succession so she doesn’t have time to think just react.
Next get her in position and hit slow grounders with regular ball and increase speed as he confidence grows. May take a few sessions but she will come around.
I would also tell her to manicure her area in between innings. Fill in any divots, get rid of any small rocks to lessen the possibility of bad hops.
Lastly protection. Have her wear any equipment that makes her feel more comfortable/confident. Face mask, wrist bands/wraps, etc...

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Was it a 2-hopper with top spin?

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Just wondering if it was topspin or backspin? LOL
Tennis balls!
At 36:34 and 1:06:58 of this well-played 10U PGF game. there are two of them that should probably be better played to the side.

- 2019 PGF National Championships 10U PREMIER

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2